K12 1.2 temperature sensor

Hi all. New to the club. I have a 2005 1.2se micra and have just changed the temperature sensor, after much searching I found very little information on its location so I thought I'd share it with you all.
The sensor is located on the rear of the engine on the right hand (battery) side. It has a grey multi wire connector and is a 19mm spanner to get off. It has a long thread which is tight to the end but there is very little water loss when changing. Easy 5 minute job. Have included a picture, the new temperature sensor is the one with the red block.

Attachments

• IMG_0245.JPG
    IMG_0245.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 9,293
  • IMG_0246.JPG
    IMG_0246.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 9,582
Hi Rob1971,

This is great. I've also been looking at changing mine but wasn't sure where it was located as I couldn't find it mentioned anywhere.

Did you drain the system of coolant before removing it or did you just remove it with all the coolant in place ?

I'm interested to know as it would be good to be able to remove it without draining.

Thanks,

Chris

Hi Rob1971,

This is great. I've also been looking at changing mine but wasn't sure where it was located as I couldn't find it mentioned anywhere.

Did you drain the system of coolant before removing it or did you just remove it with all the coolant in place ?

I'm interested to know as it would be good to be able to remove it without draining.

Thanks,

Chris
Hi Chris. I didn't drain the system at all. I had a cloth under the switch to catch the small amount of loss, I took the old one off and put the new one in straight away. The water loss was so small that I didn't even need to top the system up again. Hope this helps. Thanks.

Hi Rob1971,

That's great. I thought I'd lose a lot of coolant so I haven't attempted it yet. If only a small amount is lost then I'll give it a go asap as it's also cheap to replace.

Out of interest, what made you decide to replace it?Was it poor idle?

I have a rough idle (especially when cold) and I've cleaned the throttle body which removed the flat spot and juddering at certain speeds but I've still got a poor idle which I think could be the coolant temp sensor.

Thanks,

Chris

Hi. Yes there was a slight poor idle problem and after reading a few posts decided to replace it and there hasn't been a problem since. Hope this helps.

Hi Rob1971,

That's great. I thought I'd lose a lot of coolant so I haven't attempted it yet. If only a small amount is lost then I'll give it a go asap as it's also cheap to replace.

Out of interest, what made you decide to replace it?Was it poor idle?

I have a rough idle (especially when cold) and I've cleaned the throttle body which removed the flat spot and juddering at certain speeds but I've still got a poor idle which I think could be the coolant temp sensor.

Thanks,

Chris

Hi Rob1971,

That's a great help. I'm definitely going to change mine as I've still got poor idle which is mainly when I start the car from cold. I'll report back if the replacement sorted the problem or not. Hopefully it will sort it.

Thanks,

Chris

Back