K12 1.2 80bhp - what coolant to use?

Slowly working through servicing as much as I can on my 2008 k12. The engine coolant looks like black soup so I figure I’ll flush it and change it.

does anyone know what coolant I need to use? I’ve looked in the manual to little avail......

thanks in advance

derek

You would probably want to use the one that lasts for the longest amount of time. To save changing every 2 years Unless you are saving money then the cheaper alternative would also be okay. It is also Important not to :- ( Mix colours or brands) some may say you can but the colour not look very nice. so best avoided.
Most likley you will want a antifreeze engine coolant that suits your climate.
I have wanted to try changing mine but it seems clear so i have left it alone for now.

Good luck with this and let us know how you get on

It will be coolant with antifreeze, it’s cold where we live. The big question is do I have to use the organic or inorganic coolant types of coolant?

It will be coolant with antifreeze, it’s cold where we live. The big question is do I have to use the organic or inorganic coolant types of coolant?
As the engine coolant passages have ferrous and non ferrous areas, you MUST always use a coolant with a corrosion inhibitor in it, never just plain water, no matter what. even if your regional location precludes any chance of frost that could cause freezing. From the fact that yours has turned black suggests that It is indicating that significant iron corrosion is already taking place and that it should be drained ASAP, flushed with water till it runs clear, then replaced with an ethylene glycol based mix, at sufficient strength to protect from freezing in the winter months in your geographic location. I have used Bluecol antifreeze in my various cars (Saabs, Citroens and Nissan) over the last 10 or 15 years and have had no problems (3 years in my Micra K12).

Thank you for the kind info john I was always looking at mine thinking why is it clear. should it not be a colour though I have no problem with any signs of the liquid being unclear. I think its got antifreeze but have no idea since I did not fill it up myself.
Really should try a tester kit to see if it actually does.
The only thing I am aware of is this bottle of distilled water in the rear of the passenger seat.
That I can only guess is possibly something that may have been used when the tank was filled.
Maybe I should flush it out and replace with a product so I know its present.
Or at the very least test to see if the anti freeze is active.

Sent from my ASUS_T00P using Micra Sports Club mobile app

I'm going to add this because this is a simple item. That you can buy to test the fluid. Possibly a good idea for us to test our antifreeze levels in the future.
Helps determine more than just colour and level in the reservoir.
I'm going to pick one up in the spring along with a coolant that will be compatible..
Screenshot_2019-12-28-07-06-09_1.jpeg

We can only tell with the tester this would tell if the coolant is working and to what temperature it is able to withstand.

But if I do happen to change it then I will have peace of mind knowing it has been renewed and a better idea of when to renew again.

At the very least I should be able to go until next autumn.

Halfords and Comma recommend Comma Xstream G30 as being suitable. It’s an OAT coolant so I’m going for it on Monday. Comma website is useful as it tells you the capacity for your vehicle as well

Back