k11 Performance?

CMF_Lx_Micra

» CMF Member
try getting a k and n filter that fits in your original box about $100 off ebay not sure if it gave much power but sounds a bit better and plays on your mind.

Also got irridium spark plugs off ebay about $65 for the 4 i felt an increase in power through the range. i used to have like a dead spot when accelerating now feels like its gone.

Got the parts delivered from ebay in the united states cheaper the repco or supercheap would do them.

CMF_mycra

» CMF Member
ok this is what i did, there's a mesh that sits over the throttle body to prevent anything big go in. make another one yourself or find one at the wreckers... look for that material similar in the air filter(i used dried wet towels from work) and jam in the middle like a sandwich between the mesh. there's your filter, then get some memory hose from autobarn install and stick it pointing straight at the front.

On mine using the Apexi G-Meter, that makes a 6-7ps difference, only problem is changing or cleaning the filter material often (which is handy 4me cuz i got 1000 wet towel form work lol)

also index and gap ur plugs makes an extra 1kw more with Iridium. you could also try those little turbo spinning fan they have on ebay.

CMF_GarethW

» CMF Member
mycra WROTE:

"ok this is what i did, there's a mesh that sits over the throttle body to prevent anything big go in. make another one yourself or find one at the wreckers... look for that material similar in the air filter(i used dried wet towels from work) and jam in the middle like a sandwich between the mesh. there's your filter, then get some memory hose from autobarn install and stick it pointing straight at the front. <BR><BR>On mine using the Apexi G-Meter, that makes a 6-7ps difference, only problem is changing or cleaning the filter material often (which is handy 4me cuz i got 1000 wet towel form work lol)<BR><BR>also index and gap ur plugs makes an extra 1kw more with Iridium. you could also try those little turbo spinning fan they have on ebay.
thanks for your help i will try this out :)

CMF_deNs

» CMF Member
mycra WROTE:
"you could also try those little turbo spinning fan they have on ebay.

For the love of god, do not waste your money on that ****; it does nothing. Iridium plugs are fine to get if you are that fussed but unless you're that really that keen to get the extended life out of your plugs, I don't see the attraction - it's just another wank really.

Also, why are you suggesting to people to use dried towels as filter paper? Just use/make a cold air intake using a pod if you're that keen for extra power - if you're making it, it can be done for extremely cheap if you're creative in how you go about it.

Also a G-meter can in no way accurately measure horsepower. Put it on a dyno, come back and show the difference or there's no point even mentioning figures.

Sigh.

---dens

CMF_sikK11

» CMF Member
You could buy the cold air intake from the performance parts thread on here. Not a bad buy or make one similiar. I got a proper airbox made up on mine which is great.

Attachments

• 53457.jpg
    53457.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 33

CMF_syko

» CMF Member
mycra WROTE:

"ok this is what i did, there's a mesh that sits over the throttle body to prevent anything big go in. make another one yourself or find one at the wreckers... look for that material similar in the air filter(i used dried wet towels from work) and jam in the middle like a sandwich between the mesh. there's your filter, then get some memory hose from autobarn install and stick it pointing straight at the front. <BR><BR>On mine using the Apexi G-Meter, that makes a 6-7ps difference, only problem is changing or cleaning the filter material often (which is handy 4me cuz i got 1000 wet towel form work lol)<BR><BR>also index and gap ur plugs makes an extra 1kw more with Iridium. you could also try those little turbo spinning fan they have on ebay.

i have done the mesh modification and it works pretty well mine revs up more smoothly..

CMF_mycra

» CMF Member
deNs WROTE:

"mycra WROTE:

"you could also try those little turbo spinning fan they have on ebay.

"</div>

For the love of god, do not waste your money on that ****; it does nothing. Iridium plugs are fine to get if you are that fussed but unless you're that really that keen to get the extended life out of your plugs, I don't see the attraction - it's just another wank really.

Also, why are you suggesting to people to use dried towels as filter paper? Just use/make a cold air intake using a pod if you're that keen for extra power - if you're making it, it can be done for extremely cheap if you're creative in how you go about it.

Also a G-meter can in no way accurately measure horsepower. Put it on a dyno, come back and show the difference or there's no point even mentioning figures.

Sigh.

---dens

Yeah with the wet towels i use is made from cotton(not the baby one from supermarket) and is dense and thick enough to filter out dust or small particles and the mesh will do for anything bigger. i change it 1-2 times every month and it works fine...when i changed the throttle body everything was still clean including the intake manifold.

with the G-meter then way i measured was same section of the sandown track going direction. Twice with factory system and 4 times with the other. It may not be completely accurate, even without it, you can tell there is definitely a power difference. with the Apexi there's a 6ps difference, its even the same with my mate's iphone app. which is proven by many on forums to be very very close to the actual Dyno results. only reason for inaccuracy i think would be uneven surface, terrain, traction or sensor mounting stability. Like G-tec uses law of physics to work out HP, just like distance=speed/time. But Dyno is 100% accurate.

by the way with that spinning fan you put in the intake, Just for fun, when i did a Toda Racing 1.8 stroker kit for my B16a2 myself in a CRX, tuned with Hondata S300 at Chasers in Melbourne it made a 2.2kwaw difference @ 10.000rpm N/A and while driving normal the real time readout on the computer plugged into the S300 showed a smoother readout and better air/fuel mix. The car's getting tuned again on 20psi at Revzone in Ringwood, i'll see how much difference then.

CMF_MacGillaZ

» CMF Member
What I think Dens is getting to is the fact that a) if you can afford to spend money on a stroker kit, you can afford a $15 filter which is likely to perform better than your ghetto Filter sock. If you had put a bellmouth on the end of the TB then I could possibly understand your logic, but yeah, tis your engine thats potentially injesting more than just air, nom nom nom ...

Okay, your whole swirl pot and 10K reference on a B16a2, makes me scratch/shake my head! I agree with your point that inducing swirl into an intake will help with the mixing of the atomised fuel droplets in the air, but your theory that it will still help once an engine is turbo-charged (don't know what else the 20psi reference is for then!) is wrong. How laminar do you think the air coming out of a turbo is? You think you can induce MORE swirl or that your swirl generator isn't going to increase back pressure/restriction in your intake? Turbo tech is a different kettle of fish to NA tech ...

Please also never think/quote dynos are 100% accurate, nor the fact that many 'forums' = good. Dyno time is a good way of showing that things are improving and tuning to make good of these improvements. Unless the dyno-operator spends the extended time calibrating the dyno to your extact ratios, is it going to give anything but a nice set of reference numbers.

You want to use times/gps measurements?

You're better off doing timed runs of WOT pulls in say 4th/5th gear up either Wellington/Ferntree Gully rd hills, where by the ability of your setup to breath will be self evident, and the loading is reliable & repeatable.

For the sake of my curiosity, how much did your stroker B16 make on chasers dyno in the end?

CMF_mycra

» CMF Member
MacGillaZ WROTE:

"What I think Dens is getting to is the fact that a) if you can afford to spend money on a stroker kit, you can afford a $15 filter which is likely to perform better than your ghetto Filter sock. If you had put a bellmouth on the end of the TB then I could possibly understand your logic, but yeah, tis your engine thats potentially injesting more than just air, nom nom nom ...

Okay, your whole swirl pot and 10K reference on a B16a2, makes me scratch/shake my head! I agree with your point that inducing swirl into an intake will help with the mixing of the atomised fuel droplets in the air, but your theory that it will still help once an engine is turbo-charged (don't know what else the 20psi reference is for then!) is wrong. How laminar do you think the air coming out of a turbo is? You think you can induce MORE swirl or that your swirl generator isn't going to increase back pressure/restriction in your intake? Turbo tech is a different kettle of fish to NA tech ...

Please also never think/quote dynos are 100% accurate, nor the fact that many 'forums' = good. Dyno time is a good way of showing that things are improving and tuning to make good of these improvements. Unless the dyno-operator spends the extended time calibrating the dyno to your extact ratios, is it going to give anything but a nice set of reference numbers.

You want to use times/gps measurements?

You're better off doing timed runs of WOT pulls in say 4th/5th gear up either Wellington/Ferntree Gully rd hills, where by the ability of your setup to breath will be self evident, and the loading is reliable &amp; repeatable.

For the sake of my curiosity, how much did your stroker B16 make on chasers dyno in the end?

ok i have to say i totally agree mate...lol with the micra it was all cheap at the start, but lately been redoing everything properly. the B16 made 171.8 kwaw @ 10k but that's with everything done, i figured gaining power on n/a is a bitch.. but its so ready for turbo now hehe

Back