• Please only use these forums for blogs, they are not a discussion forum

K11 misfire

2000 K11, misfire,
It sounds like it’s missing . Starts fine but no power to pull away, changed the plugs, air filter, fuel filter and coil packs. Tried each coil pack one at a time so it’s not those, the old plugs were identical in colour. It has been throwing a code for running too lean. The car has only done 33000 miles. I need to rectify if at all possible because it’s my daily drive. Has anyone any suggestions please? It’s the facelift one

That was what I was going to try next. My local A-Z motor factors don’t stock them I’ve already rung them 🙁 I’ll try euro car parts next.

Problem: “Starts fine but no power to pull away”

IF ITS not erratic kangarooing then perhaps its running lean due to variable low supply fuel pressure @ the injectors & thus it may be cost effective to test diagnose further? ;)

Last edited:
It’s weird. It sounds like it’s missing, it’s dire when it cold Once it’s warm it’s not as bad. I reset the engine management light and it’s not relit but the fault is still there. When you look at the plugs it’s not running lean. I’m loath to go into the tank for the fuel pump because it’s three quarters full. I’m running 95 octane E10. Would I be better on super unleaded 97 octane E5?

Problem: “sounds like it’s missing, it’s dire when it cold Once it’s warm it’s not as bad”

Test the MAF by unplugging it & test drive.

Do not open the fuel tank under the rear seat, far too dangerous for amateurs.

Check the fuel pressure regulator vacuum hoses very carefully & try firmly tapping the regulator when erratic idle misfiring running occurs.
Do not open any fuel lines.

My K11 runs just fine on E10 since its been available in the UK. :)

Last edited:
Unplugged maf sensor and it runs fine no missing unable to remove the old sensor because the screws look to be anti tamper hex rather than torx which I have. Is it safe to use the car with the maf sensor unplugged for a couple of days?

Yes.

No problem but it will flag a check engine light.

Unplugged MAF & ran our K11, year 2K coil pack for 18 months with no problems & black electrical tape over the check engine light.

Eventually I fitted a replacement aftermarket MAF from the local market motor factors trade suppliers for approx. £90, some two/three years ago & its been running fine & passing MOTs.

I avoided the cheap MAFs on Ebay/Amazon as they are uncalibrated rejects that failed QC checks & a waste of time. ;)

I tried all the local scrap yards for months to no avail.

You don’t need a fault code reader as when you reconnect the existing MAF or a replacement MAF the fault code will automatically reset after a dozen or so stop start operations.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Yes.

No problem but it will flag a check engine light.

Unplugged MAF & ran our K11, year 2K coil pack for 18 months with no problems & black electrical tape over the check engine light.

Eventually I fitted a replacement aftermarket MAF from the local market motor factors trade suppliers for approx. £90, some two/three years ago & its been running fine & passing MOTs.

I avoided the cheap MAFs on Ebay/Amazon as they are uncalibrated rejects that failed QC checks & a waste of time. ;)

I tried all the local scrap yards for months to no avail.

You don’t need a fault code reader as when you reconnect the existing MAF or a replacement MAF the fault code will automatically reset after a dozen or so stop start operations.

Good luck.
Finally got a replacement maf sensor yesterday and fitted it this morning cleared engine management light and quick drive to work 20miles and all is well. Thanks for everyone’s help and advice. 👍

Back