K11 Engine swap, coolant hose differences.

Hi, I have a 2001 K11 runs on LPG and I'm about to replace the engine for the third time.

I picked up a nice complete lump from Evilbay (supposedly 2002) and I've just noticed that the thermostat housing on the 'new' engine only has one hose take off, wheras the existing has two take off's, one of which loops on a short hose back to the fixed steel pipe running across the back of the engine from the water pump.
It seems to be a bypass of some sort.

I don't really want to put the old water pump and thermostat housing on the 'new' lump.

Has anyone had any experience of this? Can I just put it in as it is?

I have noticed the single output from the thermostat housing on the 'new' engine is a smaller hose fitting than I have on the car.

If anyone could let me know how to proceed, how to hook it up, etc I would be most grateful.

It would also help if anyone could shed any light on what year this engine might be, or when this single pipe stat came to be.

Finally, does anyone know what replacement hose i need, and does the hose have any other take offs that ought to be connected?

Thank you, Jim

Hi, I have a 2001 K11 runs on LPG and I'm about to replace the engine for the third time.

I picked up a nice complete lump from Evilbay (supposedly 2002) and I've just noticed that the thermostat housing on the 'new' engine only has one hose take off, wheras the existing has two take off's, one of which loops on a short hose back to the fixed steel pipe running across the back of the engine from the water pump.
It seems to be a bypass of some sort.

I don't really want to put the old water pump and thermostat housing on the 'new' lump.

Has anyone had any experience of this? Can I just put it in as it is?

I have noticed the single output from the thermostat housing on the 'new' engine is a smaller hose fitting than I have on the car.

If anyone could let me know how to proceed, how to hook it up, etc I would be most grateful.

It would also help if anyone could shed any light on what year this engine might be, or when this single pipe stat came to be.

Finally, does anyone know what replacement hose i need, and does the hose have any other take offs that ought to be connected?

Thank you, Jim
Hi Jim,

I had this same issue replacing a 2000 1.0l with a 2002. It's not a problem in my experience, the single output from the thermostat goes to the heater matrix. I overcame the smaller fitting by putting a piece of 14mm hose over the outlet then a 16/18mm hose over that and jubilee clip to hold. No other take offs.

Hi Jim,

I had this same issue replacing a 2000 1.0l with a 2002. It's not a problem in my experience, the single output from the thermostat goes to the heater matrix. I overcame the smaller fitting by putting a piece of 14mm hose over the outlet then a 16/18mm hose over that and jubilee clip to hold. No other take offs.

Many thanks oldspike, speedy reply much appreciated, I will do exactly as you recommend, job done!
Thanks!

Back