K11 Engine just "stops"

Hi All

A while since i have posted cos me lil micra just doesnt go wrong ... until yesterday .....

Tried to start in the morning ... dry day ... turns over but not firing .... eventually floods

So stripped down dizzy and found its a bit gunked

So today

Check all fuses and connectors for corrosion or faults ... all ok
Changed dizzy rotor arm and also checked all wiring in dizzy.
New spark plugs
new fuel filter
new air filter
removed all connectors checked and plugged back in.

Even found a loose connector on the foxguard imobilisor led connection and re soldered that ...

Start up ...... fires first time and runs sweet as a nut

Then at its chosen time it just plain stops .... like the keys been turned off....

Plenty of fuel .....

So i then go to start it and it turns but wont fire .... and then when it feels like it ... it starts first time off the button again and runs "sweet as a nut"

So I tried to check codes .... but i cannot find the red led on the control unit ... i assume maybe a 95 doesnt have one ?

My thoughts is probably sensor or coil failing in the dizzy ..... but i would prefer a bit of guidance before i go buy a new one and then find its the ecu lol ....

So anyone know if the 95 is meant to have the led to show engine faults ... maybe i am just blind ?

Its a 95 n plate 1.3 slx with 56k on it

I did find a loose connection on negative battery terminal ... but even with that connection completely removed the car still runs ...

Its simply like someones switching off the key .. i even been wiggling the wires around the ignition in case there is a loose one .....

Also I did the waggle the key in the ignition while the car is running and apart from the key coming out of the ignition while the car is running and having to coax it back in lol it causes no issues and feels tight .... I also gave the harness to the back a good waggle ...
I have already checked and re soldered the TB and also the MAF Airflow sensor is working and clean ... blowing on it changes engine speed ....

So seems its that dizzy ... will get me multimeter out unless anyone can guide me to the illusive red "led" on the ECU ..... which is also bone dry with lots of dry dust on top of it ... so not damp ...

Only thing i havent changed apart from that is leads ... but imho as the car just "stops" it seems logical to be sensor or coil in dizzy ...

HI ... when your ign switch went ... did all the lights go out on the dash ... or did it just cut out but lights remained lit ?

What makes me think it isnt the switch is when it cuts out ... the normal ignition lights are still on and when you try to turn it over it turns ... but simply wont fire ... so ignition is operating starter etc but no spark .... ..... and then when it thinks hehehe i have really had im on this ... it starts again

HI ... when your ign switch went ... did all the lights go out on the dash ... or did it just cut out but lights remained lit ?

What makes me think it isnt the switch is when it cuts out ... the normal ignition lights are still on and when you try to turn it over it turns ... but simply wont fire ... so ignition is operating starter etc but no spark .... ..... and then when it thinks hehehe i have really had im on this ... it starts again

Am I right in saying that if you switch off the engine by the key the lights go out, but if it stalls they stay on? It's been a while since I've driven a K11 now so I don't 100% remember.

Dont think I have the luxury of engine warning lights on mine lol

If you turn key off the lights on dash do go out
If it stalls they come on ie back to ignition "on" position....

Dont think I have the luxury of engine warning lights on mine lol

If you turn key off the lights on dash do go out
If it stalls they come on ie back to ignition "on" position....

they all have orange/yellow eng chk light,same place as your ignition dash lights, come on when stall'd as normal

Just checked owners manual .... No Engine check light ..... mine was built before the Ark :)

I have Oil, Brake, Handbrake, Battery, and Air bag ..... and if it was a a grown up Micra it could also have ABS, NCVT........ Thats the list out of the handbook ....

So assume thats why i cant find the led on the ECU lol

Ohhhh and as a bonus also Low fuel warning light lol

Just checked owners manual .... No Engine check light ..... mine was built before the Ark :)

I have Oil, Brake, Handbrake, Battery, and Air bag ..... and if it was a a grown up Micra it could also have ABS, NCVT........ Thats the list out of the handbook ....

So assume thats why i cant find the led on the ECU lol

Ohhhh and as a bonus also Low fuel warning light lol

my previous 2 k11,s had no dash checklight either tony, the led should be behind the 4 holes in the side

Attachments

• SDC12948.JPG
    SDC12948.JPG
    273.6 KB · Views: 345
Well with the diagram above and armed with me spanners .. the only way of seeing what the led was showing was to remove the ecu and even then with me holding it in the dark i could only just make out............... 21 Ignition signal circuit .... no other codes ....

Now i just got to get my arm and shoulder sockets back it .... pondering what genius put a led in the only position where you cant see it unless you have a head the size of a pea .... ahhhhhh yes..........

So given the fault codes and its got to be the dizzy ..... Unless you have any other ideas ?

Just waiting on the dizzy to arrive ..... Thanks ALL for the input / help :)
While i been waiting the oil and filters been changed, resistor card re soldered and just shopping for some 6x9 Speakers for the rear shelf ... In fact might change the fronts as well as they sound like they have seen better days .... being 16 years old that`s no surprise .... maybe an active sub lol

Back