K11 CVT - What oil??

CMF_FRY29T

» CMF Member
I'm just apart to pull my hair out! Who can tell me 100% what gearbox oil a N-CVT K11 Micra would take. I have read so many conflicting results on the net, and my local Nissan dealer sold me some Nissan Matic-D fluid, which as far as I can tell is just standard Dextron III.

I have read that this is not suitable for a CVT gearbox, but the Nissan dealer swears its the right stuff. Could somebody please share some light before I rip this box out and chuck a 5-speeder in it!!!

CMF_Peter Felix

» CMF Member
FRY29T,

I own a 1997/98 Nissan March (japanese domestic model) and was not able to tell if my car had a 'Standard' automatic transmission or a 'CVT' transmission just by looking at the gearbox. I was told that in CVT transmissions, you can't feel the gears changing. In my car, the change from the first gear into second gear is pretty obvious. After that, the changes are not noticeable unless you are going up a a bridge or something.

So, I wrote to the local agent of Nissan in Karachi. I provided them the chassis number of my vehicle with a request to kindly ask Nissan Japan what kind of gearbox my car had and what kind of oil I was supposed to put in it. Nissan Japan informed that my car had a 'Standard' automatic transmission (not CVT) and they recommended I use Automatic Transaxle Fluid (DEXRON III - type ATF)for it.

I suggest you first check what kind of gearbox you have before changing it's fluid to save yourself from any hassles from wrong fluid going into it.

Regards,

Peter
Karachi

CMF_Peter Felix

» CMF Member
To everyone,

Is there anyway of telling by just looking at a automatic transmission of a Nissan March (Micra) if it is a CVT Gearbox or a Standard automatic gearbox?

Does it have a different shape or are there any other tell-tale signs?

Regards to all,

Peter

CMF_FRY29T

» CMF Member
Thanks guys for the replies.

Peter Felix, My Micra has N-CVT written on the actual gear selector. Another way too is to check the fuse and relay boxes and find where the CVT fuses and relays are. If they are occupied, then you have a CVT box. If not (ie no fuses or relays), then it would be just a standard automatic.

NSM, that is very interesting. I have contacted around 10 Nissan dealers and they seem to all believe that the Matic D is the oil for the box even though I am still not 100% conviced. I will have a look at this 95le. Cheers.

CMF_nz_aj

» CMF Member
As far as I know the N-CVT in the K11 uses Matic Fluid D (i.e. Dextron III).
What does the Haynes manual say?

The Hyper CVT in Primera & other newer Nissan CVT's use different fluids, e.g. Matic Fluid J, Matic Fluid K, Nissan CVT Fluid, CVT Fluid NS-2

CMF_FRY29T

» CMF Member
Thanks for the help guys, I ended up using the Nissan Matic-D fluid and she is running like brand new. It doesnt have too many kms on it so it really does drive like new, it only had 48,000 going back a few months.

Is there anybody on here with Micras that have a high amount of kms on them. I would image that the engine would last forever, but what about the CVT gearboxes?

Back