Gear Stick Issues...

Hey all,

I'm new here - just bought myself a little K11 - lovely little motor however I have an issue with the gear stick. It's very stiff (Stop laughing!)

For example it does not auto-center... you know like if you're in 2nd and you knock it out of gear you expect it to spring to the center position - well it does not do this. Gear box seems fine once in gear so not sure if that's the issue - maybe just needs some grease somewhere?

Thanks
alex.

There's a spring underneath the body that is the return spring, and it regularly breaks. You need to take the exhaust heat shield off to get at it, then just bend the broken end of the spring into a hook and reattach it. When I did it the bolts holding the heat shield on sheared off, but other than that it's about a half hour job tops.

if it doesn't spring back from the LH but does spring back from the RH and moves smoothly with little resistance, the linkage bushes are fine but the return spring under the gearstick might be broken. very common fault but easy to fix.

if the stick has alot of resistance in all directions, the linkage bushes are probably dry n rusted seized.
either disassemble-clean-regrease the bushes (but if it's been seized and used like that for awhile it could've worn the plastic bushing loose, so after cleaning rust off the metal insert it could end up being too loose n rattle), or just replace the whole linkage from a better condition linkage off a scrapyard (make sure they're both match before purchase)

Back