k11 96 manual GEARBOX please

CMF_rowstar1

» CMF Member
Hi Guys,
I had a noisy clutch issue - well i thought that's what it was - turns out the gearbox is the issue after paying 500 for a new clutch install.

So... i guess does anyone have a manual gearbox in the inner city melb area i could buy off them of can anyone suggest where to find one before i head off to the wreckers, maybe someone knows of one on the forum or something.

would be a big help.
thanks!

CMF_azman89

» CMF Member
Sorry, i have to ask, could you elaborate on the issue you are having?
I changed my clutch myself with a brand new oem standard exedy clutch kit.. It was silky smooth and quiet for about 1000km's.
And then it went straight back to what it was doing before; it "rattles" at idle when it's engaged (in neutral). Is this the noisy clutch issue you speak of?

CMF_RTK

» CMF Member
azman89 WROTE:

"Sorry, i have to ask, could you elaborate on the issue you are having?

I changed my clutch myself with a brand new oem standard exedy clutch kit.. It was silky smooth and quiet for about 1000km's.

And then it went straight back to what it was doing before; it "rattles" at idle when it's engaged (in neutral). Is this the noisy clutch issue you speak of?

If its a problem like that it maybe the input shaft bearing, which means you need to pull apart the gear box

CMF_rowstar1

» CMF Member
when i drive there is a grinding sound, it's been getting louder over the weeks and now people actually turn and look when i drive past lol

At a stand still and out of gear, the sound is a rattling from the front.

If i clutch in when driving or standing still - the noise just simply goes away all together.

I definitely thought it was the thrust bearing, so bought a new exeddy clutch and booked it in....but the clutch itself is totally fine no slipping at all, i just thought it was the thrust bearing due to the symptoms.

I took it to the mechanics and they said the sound is actually coming from the gearbox and that it might be a 'bearing' (?) inside the box or something i can't remember what they said exactly....but they offered a rebuild but i declined as i would rather find a new box altogether instead of having them do it....i just spent bloody 550 on the clutch job (including clutch) for no reason now.

so...yeah i'm down for a gearbox if possible somewhere.

thanks guys!

CMF_mipcar

» CMF Member
Sorry to hijack the thread. However for those reading it, must be the month for Gearboxs as I also need one for one of my cars. Interestingly not the high mileage one.
In any case sounds like CV clicking type noise in 1st and 2nd, not so bad in 3rd and not at all in 4th and 5th.
Definately not CV in my case as they are only a few months old.

CMF_RTK

» CMF Member
rowstar1 WROTE:

"when i drive there is a grinding sound, it's been getting louder over the weeks and now people actually turn and look when i drive past lol

At a stand still and out of gear, the sound is a rattling from the front.

If i clutch in when driving or standing still - the noise just simply goes away all together.

I definitely thought it was the thrust bearing, so bought a new exeddy clutch and booked it in....but the clutch itself is totally fine no slipping at all, i just thought it was the thrust bearing due to the symptoms.

I took it to the mechanics and they said the sound is actually coming from the gearbox and that it might be a 'bearing' (?) inside the box or something i can't remember what they said exactly....but they offered a rebuild but i declined as i would rather find a new box altogether instead of having them do it....i just spent bloody 550 on the clutch job (including clutch) for no reason now.

so...yeah i'm down for a gearbox if possible somewhere.

thanks guys!

This is the exact problem i had with mine, its the input shaft bearing :) dont bother buying from nissan, the gearbox has to be pulled apart then just press the old input shaft bearing off then go to a bearing shop and get one :) i spent like $18 on the bearing and nissan wanted like $40 plus shipping

CMF_rowstar1

» CMF Member
what bearing should i ask for? did it have a code?
this could be a good cheap option me instead of finding an entire gear box, even though they will still have to drop the box out to do it.

CMF_RTK

» CMF Member
It would be cheaper, then getting another box that could be screwed also, and there is a code on the bearing, I tried looking at pics of when I took my gearbox apart and had the new and old bearing but I can't see it sorry

Back