K11 1.3 GX with dead engine

C

Cris

I have my girlfirend's K11 1.3 sat in my garage.

It's a metallic blue '95 model 1.3 GX. Has powersteering and sunroof. The tyres are all in good shape (on stock steel wheels). It has also had a new set of front discs and pads about 1,000 miles ago.

The engine has 96,600 miles.

Bad points:

There are some dents and scrapes on the body.

More importantly the engine doesn't work. I suspect that the cam chain has snapped. The engine suddenly died on the M4. Later inspection showed that the engine turns over but there is no spark. The distributor does not turn nor does the cam shaft.

I can't upload photos at the moment but as soon as my host is working again I'll stick them up.

If anyone's interested then shout.

Pictures - http://crw.bulldoghome.com/photos/BDRES/crw_bulldoghome_com/Micra/

Cam chains broke, first i've ever heard of that hapening on the K11. But yea if the Cam shaft don't turn, then thats probally whats away.

Good luck with sale :)

could you not take off the rocker cover and see what has happen its only a few screws then you could give a better idea of the damage

Zephyr said:

To be honest we're open to offers. My local council will remove the car at no cost (and dispose of it). That seems like a waste to just throw it away (my GF already has a nice shiney K12 as replacement).

are u selling parts from it at all or as a whole? if ya selling the parts does the car have nats?

if so i would be after the ecu and 2 keys.

if ur selling as a whole then no worries

thanks

Fordy said:
could you not take off the rocker cover and see what has happen its only a few screws then you could give a better idea of the damage

I have very quickly looked under the cam cover. The chain was still in place (i.e. wrapped around the cam shaft as you'd expect). The engine turns over but the cam shaft doesn't move. I tried to move the cam shaft myself but couldn't (I assume that the vavle springs are fairly stiff). I stopped at this point as I didn't want to make matters worse (we were thinking about having the car fixed at that stage).

There is no sign of any metallic residue in the oil. I have no idea if the valves have clouted the pistons (is the 1.3 an interference engine?). This, the fact that there may be more to it than breaking the cam chain (given how unlikely this is) and the value of the car even in tip top condition meant that it ended up in my garage.

If I were very keen I'd break the car on e-bay but I'd rather that it went to someone who actually would apprecaite it and gain some value.

richarda said:
are u selling parts from it at all or as a whole? if ya selling the parts does the car have nats?

if so i would be after the ecu and 2 keys.

if ur selling as a whole then no worries

thanks

To start with I'd like to see if anyone wants the car complete (I was going to have it and drop in an SR20DE but lack of cash and apathy stopped me).

If no-one wants it then yes we'll break it.

do u have elecy windows btw could u get piccys of the handles if it does? but if i get u rid if its a 95 reg not sure bout model never heard of a 95 model (as u said its a gx) but 95 m/n reg aint facelift...

detox said:
i will give you 150 for the car and pick it up to save u haveing to break it...

Sorry about the delay, had to speak to the GF as it's her car. We were hoping for a little more for the car but if you're keen then I think she'd go for it.

I assume that you'll want to see the car in daylight so how about sometime this weekend? I'll get the GF to bring along the log book etc.

Cheers

Jeeeeeeesus could those images be any bigger!?! i've converted them to links.

Please make sure they're no larger than 800x600 in future

Arnold said:
Jeeeeeeesus could those images be any bigger!?! i've converted them to links.

Please make sure they're no larger than 800x600 in future

Cheers :glance:

I'm bored of having this in my garage so it needs to be moved out to make room. If anyone wants parts shout otherwise it's off to the crusher.

If you want something then shout.

so what condition is the car in apart from the engine?

sills, floor pan, arches etc. whats the rust like?

will be for the gf so dont want owt shoddy.

k11stew said:
so what condition is the car in apart from the engine?

sills, floor pan, arches etc. whats the rust like?

will be for the gf so dont want owt shoddy.

I'd say fair condition. The interior is pretty good. No rips in any of the fabric. Exterior is OK. Little bit of rust on the rear arches but not a lot. There is a scrap over the off-side rear arch which I have painted some primer onto to stop it rusting. To get it back to straight it'd need a respray, I didn't go near that 'cos the metallic paint would have looked poo with my cack handed spraying.

The rest of the car is good. There's no noticable rust under the car and it has just had a new set of front pads and discs. Tyres are in good nick, fairly new. The clutch was rather heavy, not sure if it was knackered or just as they are. It remained that way for the 2-3 years that the missus had the car so...

shouldnt be a problem mate, got a van with a tow bar, just need to find a trailer with a winch.

give me a txt on 07730504999 if you want.

stew

Shout when you've got it sorted and we'll work out times and directions etc.

k11stew has made an offer which I have provisionally accepted.

IF that falls through then I'll drop another note.....

Stew - no offence meant

BTW I'm in Sutton in Surrey (between Croydon and Kingston).

no problem mate, ive got the money off the gf, just trying to get hold of a decent trailer, seem to be like hens teeth atm!!

give me a txt so ive got youre number - 07730504999

i was gonna offer £100 for it but its like 300mile away from me so will end up costing me about £600 in petrol, trailer etc lol. :(

wow! thats all i can say!

what a bargain! thats the 2nd car ive bought that no-one else wanted!

and 2 bargains so far!

the car is immaculate, and specced up!

droppin' a new 1.3 in at the weekend then its off to the mot centre.

costing a total of £350, for car, delivery and engine!

haha thread resurected! id love to get in touch with cris who i bought the car off to show him the progress...

0024.jpg

Image039.jpg

Image052.jpg

so if anyone can find any email addys or anything let me know! cheers.

from his profile:

Other owners clubs:
GTiROC, Other Japanese Car Club

try posting on there asking for him..?

Back