K11 - 1.0 S coil-pack, a couple of queries...

Hi all,

New to Micra ownership. I've had a few cars in the past but have become bored of depreciation/complexity so decided to buy a base 1.0 Micra. I bought the car with a slight hesitation issue hoping it would be easy to rectify, having done some research it seems there could be a few causes.

This is the coil-pack 1.0 (2000 X reg changeover) engine and there is a bill in the history for a new MAF in December so unless the replacement was faulty that is one thing off the list.

I detected the car had a noisy induction sound as if it had an aftermarket induction kit and on investigation it was apparent that the airbox collar was not secured to the throttle body - the jubilee clamp was not even tightened! I did come a cropper trying to re-assemble and secure the components though (I imagine the shall-remain-nameless garage that did the MAF change also had difficulty and just decided to send the car out).

imag1137.jpg

I cannot work out how to get the rubber sealing ring in position. I have tried being gentle, I have tried being forceful and I have tried using washing up liquid to slide it all in. It just doesn't want to go. Is this a normal battle that everyone has? I'm seriously think of using two-part epoxy to stick the rubber ring into the airbox (using the lip) and that would make it easier to refit as the airbox and the rubber ring would now be one part. Thoughts on this one?

With regard to the hesitation it is significantly worse when the car is cold. Idle is steady, never stalls and it's still driveable. When the car is up to temp it only really manifests itself as a flat spot here and there. Before I signed up I had a good read on here and a couple of members were quite vocal about spark plugs. I pulled one and the car has the ubiquitous NGK plug:

imag1141.jpg

I have ordered some Bosch plugs. I think the gap is slightly different on the Bosch so will see what happens.

More looking for advice on the airbox issue really...

Regards, SJ

Whoops... that's the way it was assembled when I took it apart - no wonder it won't go properly ;) shame on me for not working that out though :confused: cheers Frank.

Back