coil pack engine swap

kennierobo

Buy & Sell Member
Well its come to it is it possible to change the coil pack engine for the previous type, I have to hand correct ecu pickup ring chip and engine harness from a 1999 facelift so would it be just a case of changing engine , engine loom and ecu ect, or are there some hidden extra,s that Im not aware of. I think also the starter motor needs changing but everything else should remain the same should it not. Thanx for any comments that are posted.....ken:grinning::grinning::grinning:

ken, there are a lot of wires that emerge from the o/s and n/s flitch,s, and link up with the engine loom, would,nt that create problems ?

To be honest frank I dont know from first inspection it would appear that the engine loom differs but the other loom looks very much the same. I will have to see the other plugs that conect next to ecu but certainly the plugs that conect under bonnett are the same next to battery so if there is a differance its next to ecu. the micra i removed engine loom ecu pickup ring is from a 99 micra the pick up ring has the same conection as the coilpack type the dash layout is the same minus the rev counter in the coilpack. So Im assuming that once the engine is removed and engine side of loom then the rest shoud in theory just plug and play. What I will do is check at weekend the connections next to ecu to see if they are the same, somehow i cant see nissan doing a total rewire just for 2 years thats why i think that as long as i have the main parts from same type of car but the earlier engine then it should work. Im not sure if I read somewhere that the coil pack engine has 2 Co2 sensors I will have to check that out, if its not just plug and play then I will go back to scrappy and get other part of loom and do a total rewire...

ken, if the enginebay fuseboxes and relayboxes are different, i would be very wary personally.
if the crank sensor is in the g/box bellhousing, would a head swop be an option ?

enginebay fuse box looks to be exactly the same as 99 model as for the crank sensor I hadnt thought of that one are these present in the 99 model as I dont know, there is the option to use the remaining loom I left in scrap car then it would work no problem and it only means an extra days work thus eliminating any problems maybe some photos would help along the way as there isnt very much said about the coil pack type engine on here as it didnt have a long production run in the micra. as I can work out the only differance ive seen up to now is the ecu unit and engine side of loom the rest looks the same from the 99 model to the 2002 model there are no extra fuses in the fuse box and no extra electrics other than the engine side of loom, I would very much rather use the 1.3 engine i have in garage as its only coverd 54 thou I could just replace the throttle body but cant get hold of one so given the alternative of 200 to 500 for one this seems a better bet.

ken, i think the crank sensor is just the more orthodox method of ecu input, as opposed to the cam sensor method used on the cg

so I will have to change the whole looms in car or is the sensor located on the engine side of loom. as all I can remember of the other side is ancilerys like alternater and the likes. on the engine side of loom there is the speedo sensor injectors throttle body temp and the one above that (unsure) as to what it is maybe crank sensor. or maybe it is on other loom....?????????????????

if thats the case and I have no doubt your right then it must be on the engine loom as there is no other connections in fact yes I remember that there was a connection on the back side of gearbox when i removed the engine loom so if thats not on the 02 gearbox maybe it would be possible to put it in somehow....

Frank the 10L engine thats in there at the moment has coverd a mere 35k and the symptoms are: When cold its very hard to get any sort of response from engine its as if there were to much choke, also the engine gets to running temp within half a mile ie temp gauge is half way between blue and red. Engine managment light is constantly on, Tickover it feels like its hunting just a little and at least on a dozen occasions its cut out when aproaching junctions. with this in mind my thoughts would be throttle body or mass air flow sensor http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-air-flow-...14&_trkparms=72:1301|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318
maybe im totaly wrong and barking up the wrong tree anyhow given this what would you plumb for or is there any other sensors that im unaware of that could cause this, Car was running perfect before it was cooked thru a bust rad and im thinking as these units are prone to heat busting them then maybe just maybe this could be the fault.

ken, i would get the faultcodes read first (the rac forum had some recommendations on which £20-30 ebay codereaders were any good, the other week) and i think there was a thread on the ilexa forum where someone changed that sensor inside the t/b :)

Ive decided that a total rewire is the way to go on this one frank, The reason for this decision is that ive noticed oil spilling out of every gasket on the top end of engine I dont know what sort of people these were that did the work on this car but to say they did it badley is an understatement. Ive located a canditate for the looms and as ive done this conversion before it should be straight forward. The only problems I forsee is the clocks I will have to go mechanical on this one and the hazard switch and heated rear window switch other that that it should be ok, Im looking at around 3 days work and then it should be sorted, I did have a 99 micra singled out for the looms as i have ecu ect that matches it and I did get the engine loom went back for the other side and some muppett cut thru it behind the nearside light (such is life) so me thinks some pics of dismantle and rebuild may find there way on here but for now its a standstill next wednesday I will sorce looms then I have a week off feb 16th so work will commence then fingers crossed all will go well..........

Back