K10s: Still cheap to run in 2013?

porkpie700

Buy & Sell Member
Micras had a good reputation for being cheap to run. But are they still giving great value for money in 2013? Well here’s a fun little comparison of what it costs me...

So my 1992 Super S…
You’re all Micra fans so I’m sure you’re all aware of what the specs of a K10 Super S are.
532078_10151819609739872_284957351_n.jpg

- 12 months road tax: £140
- 12 months insurance: £460
- Average MPG over 2 weeks (my driving style): 38 – 42mpg

…but, the CLS 350
995450_10151760995569872_995565847_n.jpg

- 12 months road tax: £175
- 12 months insurance: £1300
- Average MPG over 2 weeks (my driving style): 47 – 51mpg

What you get vs what you pay with the Super S and CLS 350, for what it costs to run them the CLS is far better value for money.
So while the Micra is – still somewhat cheap to run (there are cheaper cars out there), it doesn’t really give the value for money it once did.
For me personally, my Micras are becoming more of a “weekend car” and less of a daily driver.
Maybe one day insurance prices will drop and K10's will become cheap again? Who knows... it would be nice.

The Micra is by far the cheapest car I've ever ran, Cost me £370 and its near immaculate.
Insurance is under £500 a year and the parts are lube free.

Cost me £40 for a complete new exhaust, Under £5 for a cam belt etc...

For me its my daily and my weekend car is a Rover BRM, which is also cheap on parts but its almost lube worthy compared to the Micra lol.

Saves me a fortune driving it :)

...Gotta say the K10's more of a head turner to me too... :oops:
...far too many shiny mercs, audi's, beemers *yawn*

...of course there's always...

2005 K12 Dci (82)

Tax:............ £30
Insurance:. £300
MPG:............60-65...
purchase price (now) £2500-£3500 (for a nicer/posher/top range one) :p

I got a shot if this a couple of days ago http://imgur.com/adwpOpz bmw 335d Msport turns out 400bhp is alot even in a diesel and going from a 1.3 micra to a 150bhp vectra this is quite a big bloody jump! Miles per gallon? Bout 15~
Road tax £200
Insurance free because its my dads pals D verdict I want one!!!

While I am amused by some of the attempts to make witty remarks, I’d like to address the comments made by karlj and h701micra. Your personal attacks are in poor taste and are typical of people that carry resentment towards others who have actually worked hard to better their lives and are enjoying the benefits thereof.

“He just wanted to show off his merc” and from karj: “And failed in the process”.
Firstly that was not my intention. But the fact that you both felt compelled to personally attack me over it means that – if that had been my intention, then I would have succeeded.

In closing, I actually started this thread with the intention of starting a mature discussion about the current state of motoring costs in this country. Touching on the topic of how it seems that drivers of older or classic cars are being lumbered with higher charges to compensate for the lower rates given to drivers of newer vehicles.
However it seems that sensible discussion about important topics are almost impossible amongst “social” groups with a level of intellect as primitive as you two fellows have displayed.
If you don’t like me personally or the content that I post then simply click the “Ignore” button and don’t participate.

The Micra is by far the cheapest car I've ever ran, Cost me £370 and its near immaculate.
Insurance is under £500 a year and the parts are lube free.

Cost me £40 for a complete new exhaust, Under £5 for a cam belt etc...

For me its my daily and my weekend car is a Rover BRM, which is also cheap on parts but its almost lube worthy compared to the Micra lol.

Saves me a fortune driving it :)

Thank you for providing a constructive, intelligent answer. Input from people such as yourself is appreciated.

But you never started anything, you tried to say your shiney new merc was better value for money without saying why.

When challenged you chose to see responses as personal attacks rather than prove your claim.

Oh and whilst on the subject of value for money, read through your "intelligent" topic. It has been proven several times over that older cars are better value for money than your merc, whether its cheaper fuel costs, insurance or tax and that's without taking service or repair costs into account

Woah woah woah. Hold the phone. Neither me nor I suspect Karl were in any way "attacking" anybody. We were simply making light of the post

So firstly I apologise if this is how it appears to you
Secondly this in no way shows we have any resentment to anyone who has 'actually' worked hard for whatever. So I'd just like you to know that while I dont have a posh car I work DAMN HARD thank you very much to ensure my kids have a bright future. And to some that's worth more than any amount of money, posh cars or big houses

I will ignore the fact you have called my intellect primitive... as that is an insult I do not appreciate

However your threads such as your super s restoration are ones I've followed with great interest. But I shall no longer. Nor shall I bear a sense of humour in your threads if this is the outrageous reply I'll get in return

Secondly this in no way shows we have any resentment to anyone who has 'actually' worked hard for whatever. So I'd just like you to know that while I dont have a posh car I work DAMN HARD thank you very much to ensure my kids have a bright future. And to some that's worth more than any amount of money, posh cars or big houses

For me just this sums it up and yes Andy you are right I wasn't attacking anyone

@porkpie700 I can see where you're coming from...but I also see where @KarlJ is coming from.

The original post does seem a bit more "look at me" than anything else, I think the pics, choice or words and content was lacking the argument you were trying to prove?

Nuff said from me.

Flamesuit, ON!

For me just this sums it up and yes Andy you are right I wasn't attacking anyone
I had you in mind all the while. Kids mean more than anything. They're our future. I'm looking forward to growing up with mine. Ok they've got a couple of old micras and a sad looking picasso but they'll hopefully be happy which is my intention.

That reply of our dear friend PorkPie700 has severely offended me. Maybe he needs to sell the merc and buy a sense of humour? Or try and get to know people before stamping them as dumb rejects of society

I apologise to any admin/moderators for taking this off topic. But I will not be talked down to because I have a sense of humour and dont have alot of money

Before the parents on here start their sob stories (I have my own) lets get this back on topic

So Porkpie how is your merc better value for money?

What are the servicing costs, the repair costs for lets say a new front wing or passenger door and how do the stack up to the k10?

@porkpie700 I can see where you're coming from...but I also see where @KarlJ is coming from.

The original post does seem a bit more "look at me" than anything else, I think the pics, choice or words and content was lacking the argument you were trying to prove?

Nuff said from me.

Flamesuit, ON!

No need for the flame suit Scott, you're right

Before the parents on here start their sob stories (I have my own) lets get this back on topic

So Porkpie how is your merc better value for money?

What are the servicing costs, the repair costs for lets say a new front wing or passenger door and how do the stack up to the k10?

+1, cheap to run shouldn't only consist of MPG.

All I'm gonna say on this is that it makes a refreshing change that it's not me pissing people off ;)

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Likewise!

Back