K10 with auto transmission

Ki0

hissyfizzy

you,ve changed just about everything now, are you sure theres no blockage fuelwise, rust in the tank/blocked pipe/blocked fuel filter ?
i would take the inlet pipe off the pump and blow down it and get someone to listen in the tank
if it runs when you chuck fuel down the carb still, it gotta be starvation still ?

I've done all that. Would a failing distributor cause this kind of issue? Seems to be an awful lot of K10's all of a sudden failing around the same year as mine 17-20 year olds and most of your replies seem to suggest distributor failure.

What exactly will happen if the distributor starts to fail and what symptons would I expect?

hissyfizzy

the dizzy itself rarely gives a problem, but the points are a nightmare if they are too close it retards the ignition and makes the dwell too long and you get missfiring, if they are too wide it advances the ignition and the dwell is too short to charge the coil up,
and condensors play up as well
if the vacuum advance mech is working and theres not loads of play in the shaft the dizzy is probably ok

The distributor is fully advanced now so ill check the points tomorrow. RAC said the carb is allowing too much air in so weakening the fuel mixture The carb has only been fitted for around a week with a new gasket etc doubt if a gasket can fail that fast. Thing I have noticed is on the point where the carb fitted around 1cm below the metal plate there is another gasket wondering if this could have failed, does anyone else have this second gasket just below the carb mounting plate? I'm having the manifold checked for cracks and will be checking the second gasket "it may not be a gasket just appears to be one around 1cm below the plate where the carb sits"

When the car runs it runs well since the carb was fitted ive done 120miles . I've been told that the bob weights inside the dizzy have a tendancy to fail throwing the timing out

Now I'm lost and it's costing silly amounts of money plus I'm running out of posts for advice.

hissyfizzy

a leaking carb gasket or crack in the manifold will make it run really rough on tickover or small throttle, but will have less effect at high throttle if that helps at all ?
if you run out of posts email me if you want

Back