K10 engine starting

I have just bought
cars2010001.jpg

I'm very happy with her a 1.2 Auto J reg FSH and only 38k on the clock!

The only slight problem is when its cold she takes one or two pumps on the throttle to get her going what could the problems be? The engine runs sweet once its started and starts fine when the engine is warm and or the weather is! I assume its some kind of carb/choke problem?

Thanks for any help! (Y)

sounds like the autochoke isnt working (unless when it does start the revs are higher than when its warm) but thats pretty normal for a carb'd engine as by pressing the pedal, it presses a little pump on the carb which adds extra fuel into the mixture for that inital surge of air when accelerating.

(although micra carbs could be completly different, being a japanese design :p)

The car's in a nice condition, good find!(Y)

Start off with something simple.

What condition is the battery in, how old is it?

With the car reading 38000 I doubt it's the Carb unless it's been sat for years and all the rubber pipes have perished :eek:

When it revs high try giving the throttle a a couple of quick jabs, it should in theory drop down when it gets to the right temp.

Again, depending on how long it's been sat, maybe give it a Service?

Have you got any more pics?

Firstly thanks for all your help!

This is what I know about the car it was originally for the Isle of Wight so I assume it done a lot of low speed and short journeys. Its got 6 services stamps and is due its 40k services which will be done before its MOT in April.

Regards to the problem is it worth cleaning the carb and changing the gaskets and checking the vacuum pipes for air leaks? Regards to the battery I will most likely change it to a bocsh battery (assuming they make on for the k10!).

Here are some more pictures...

cars2010038.jpg

cars2010022.jpg

cars2010024.jpg

cars2010034.jpg

cars2010003.jpg

cars2010018.jpg

cars2010036.jpg

I hope you like her as I certainly do! (Y)

This might be a daft question but; Are you remembering to press the throttle all the way to the floor twice before starting the engine? This is needed to activate the auto choke and prime the carb ready for starting. After the engine has started you will need to just lightly dab the throttle after about 10secs to knock the auto choke down a knotch and lower the revs, then once more after about 2mins to knock it off completely.

I know loads of people are probaly shouting "well duh" at their monitors right now, but unless you've owned a k10 before of have read through the owners handbook then you wouldn't know to do it. Like the push button to release the ignition key; it's just something you have to get used to.

Oh and oops, i just saw the 2 posts above mine so you already know lol.

press the throttle fully twice to engage the auto choke, car will rev till its warm.

if its unstable on tick over change all the little rubber vac pipes (one of which is bound to be split)
do the tappets, fit a set of NGK plugs correcty gapped, set the ignition timing to TDC with the vac pipe off at idle

and bobs your aunt fanny

Back