k10 carburettors

boyracergt

Ex. Club Member
basiclly bit of rant and couple of questions
1. autochoke: annoys me a lot it cuts in everytime i start it, stays on for 15-20minutes and ticks over between 2500-3000rpm also get a lot of smoke not sure if this is normal. ive knocked it out during this warm weather by twisting the heater cover to the furthest timing mark now it doesnt cut in. is this ok will it cause any issues or is there a better way to cut it out

2.idle speed control: rear window heater, main beams only and heater blower raise the idle speed but side/dipped lights dont and when turned on lower the idle speed about 50-200rpm and also my sound system combined with diped lights causes a 850rpm idle speed to dip to 350rpm is this normal is there a way to get the idle speed control device to cut in with dipped lights/ sound system.

3.is there a bigger car that had the same carb with bigger jets i know ma12s have smaller jets than ma10s is there any other jets that will fit?

4. has anyone ever considered twin standard hitachis? or are they not adjustable enough?

this has been covered a few times but sometimes its hard to find the relevant threads so thought a thread that clears things up would be good.

carbs that fit and what you need to fit them the only ones i know of are:
* weber ich 34 which needs an adapter plate between carb and inlet. adds approximately (from what ive been told) 9bhp
*Cherry/sunny carburettor should bolt straght on bigger yet very slight power gain maybe 2bhp

if im wrong please correct me and excuse my ignorance. rant over, now for discussion

i can get you adaptor plates made up for £25 for an ich if your interested, And pretty much everything you just said up there happens with my car the auto choke is bloody annoying its been the same with both my micras and yea i get alot of smoke to on start up idle i think its normal

i just turned down the fast idle speed, so the choke still comes on but it only revs to like 1000rpm, handy on the odd cold early morning.

just about everything i turn on raises the revs, rather annoingly, most of the time i just reach under the seat and unplug the box during the day etc, when you want the window down but need a little heat on, like in traffic it does my head in reving at 1400rpm.

dunno on carbs the sunny 1.3 carb bolts straight on accprding to my haynes the ma12 jets are 93 main, 130 needle, and the 1.3 sunny is 89 main, 145 needle, so not that much different

hope it helps

on my k10 is i left it idling from cold for about 5 mins then dipped the throttle the autochoke would go off. 15-20 mins is wayyy wrong!

being the only person on here thats fitted a 1.3 sunny carb (to my knowledge) and the first person to try it (that much i definatly know), i can honestly say it makes a good bit of difference on the 1.0 esp when on the motorway. mid range power is much improved which makes overtaking safely alot easier and i'd highly recommned it! carb cost me £10 from a scrappies and it was the best money i spent until i got the webbers ;) best part is you can wire up the auto choke as well, or get the manual choke version and bin the autochoke all together ;)

if your auto choke is staying on for 15-20 thens somethings wrong with it and they are well known to get stuck open.

is the sunny 1.3 carb a straght fit e.g all pipes and bolts fit over straght across and is there any setting up involved if so what cheers

it is a direct swap the only issue is the throttle cable as it comes from a different direction on the sunny, however i made up a simple metal bracket to move the cable position to the correct location. or you can just take the sunnys accel cable and replace the micra one.

easiet carb upgrade ever ;) and i've tried em all!

sounds good ive got a mate who had a 1.6 sunny coupe any idea if the carbs the same and if it would fit if soi il see if hes got one spare :D

according to my haynes engine bible, the 1.6 sunny has a hitachi carb with a similar model number to the 1.3 so maybe it will.

1.3 and 1.6 will fit they are just larger versions on the Micra carb.

just found a picture of the setup, 1.3 carb on standard inlet with a K&N :D
DSC00748.jpg

ideally they both would but they can just be fitted and the 1.3 worked perfectly without a rejet ;) you should know that too seeing as you bought it :p

so would i get any gains with a 1.6 carb and would it run ok without a rejet also is rejetting just changing the jets if so what size would i need and where would i get them cheers

at the end of the day, if a 1.6 carbs not been tried, know one will know exactly how it will run, the 1.3 has been tried and works well, the 1.6 is still unknown terroratry, if you can get one, just try it, for the sake of an hour changing it. ill have a look tonight in my engine book and see what jets the 1.6 has and get back

has anyone got the engine code of the sunny 1.3 engine i need the carb off as ive just found one on a stand at college and its a f13 or n13 cant rember. also is it a nikkali carb?

IIRC its the n13...

When i bought the 1.3 off speedle it didnt make a huge difference imo, hardly any

it is indeed the n13

the only difference it made was the cars mid to high range power, motorway cruising etc dont expect the 1.3 carb to make it take off. as thats not the case. but if you want a bit more overtaking power on the motorway then its ideal, and the mpg is also mostly unaffected. the carb seems to improve torque which at the end of the day is what the k10 1.0 engine seriously lacks. of course this is just my opinion from my personal experiences

Back