K10 1.0 Automatic more than 3 gears?

Greetings to everyone!

Since a couple of weeks, i'm the proud owner of a K10 1.0 Automatic.
The car runs fine, just about 100.000 km, has good maintenance and starts without problems.

In the beginning it was clearly obvious to me it's a 3 speed, as when accelerating , it Changes gear 2 times.

Now, some times i thought to be in Second gear, but when i pressed the accelerator, it changed into a lower gear, i supposed 1st gear, but almost immediatly it changed another one down?!

I thought "Well, i must have been in 3the gear..." although i was only driving around 50km/h, while normaly accelerating, it only hits 3th after 70km/h.

I was intrigued, so i started to focus on the gear changes.

I found out that when i drove really slowly, and only pushing the accelerator down a little bit, i noticed a first 'gear shift at around 20km/h.then between 40 and 60, there is another gear shift, and ultimatly, when i reach 70km/h there is a third gearshift!,

So, 4 gears? hmm.
The odd thing is, when at a standstill, and doing pedal to the medal, I only have 2 gearshifts until the final gear, driving around 100km/h.

Is there someone who can explain this phenomenon to me? I assume it really has only 3 gears, but i'm dying to know what causses the mysteriously extra gearshift at slow acceleration.

In anticipation,

Laurens

I was thinking of that, but it just doesn't seem to fit.

When accelerating hard, in second gear it reaches almost 100km/h, then it changes gears, so I figure it's in 3th, but after that, I don't feel another shift?
But when slowly accelerating, I feel 3 shifts, instead of 2 when accelerating fast.
You think that at slow accelerating, the 3th shift is the overdrive i feel? why don't I feel it when accelerating hard?
Found the gear ratio's some time ago, can't seem to find them again, but I remember seeing 3 gear ratio's and the final ratio, but no mention of overdrive. (edit: foun it)

1st 2.826
2nd 1.543
3rd 1.000
rev 2.364
final 3.737

Not quite sure if my k10 even has one? Can't find a mention of it.

Or am I missing the whole mechanics behind the overdrive?
Could you spare a moment to explain what i am feeling, instead of just 'Overdrive?'

Edit: after some reading about overdrive,
Could it be that because of the slow, 'normal' acceleration, the OD is activated, but when gaining more speed, and wanting to go faster, the OD is switched of and 3th gear is selected because of the higher 'demand'?

When accelerating hard, the OD has no chance of being activated, and when a high speed is reached, let's say 110-120 km/h, the 'demand' is definitely too high for the OD to be activated?.

Last edited:
I have a 1.2 auto. It is 3 speed, 1st, 2nd and 3rd.....

But, normal steady acceleration, like halfway on the peddle, 3rd, at about 4300rpm it then dropped revs. This I guess is a final drive gear OR.. A drop down gear.

Not sure myself, but it's got 3 or 4 different style\sounding gears

Back