K10 '84 Automatic Transmission Replacement

A

animex

Hola from Canada!

I've been an owner of cute little K10 Micra for a little over a year. Got it from the first owner, an old lady. It had original 75,000km when I got it. It's not at 95,000km. That little thing is fun to drive, easy on gas and cheap to maintain.

But it's too bad I can't drive it anymore. The automatic tranny is gone :( (Last night) I couldn't go forward or reverse with the gear in :(.

I want to drive it again since rebuilding it expensive from what I heard (I'm not sure if I can do it myself, how hard is it?), so I'm looking for a used one.

Is there anyone selling here?

The car is from 1984 btw.

Please let me know if you are parting your K10.

Or is there an alternative way?

Thank you.

Hola from Canada!

I've been an owner of cute little K10 Micra for a little over a year. Got it from the first owner, an old lady. It had original 75,000km when I got it. It's not at 95,000km. That little thing is fun to drive, easy on gas and cheap to maintain.

But it's too bad I can't drive it anymore. The automatic tranny is gone :( (Last night) I couldn't go forward or reverse with the gear in :(.

I want to drive it again since rebuilding it expensive from what I heard (I'm not sure if I can do it myself, how hard is it?), so I'm looking for a used one.

Is there anyone selling here?

The car is from 1984 btw.

Please let me know if you are parting your K10.

Or is there an alternative way?

Thank you.

Hi, nice to see a Canadian K10 owner on the forum, theres not many of you around here :)

Its weird, I saw a small number of K10 Micras over in Canada myself but none at all in the U.S. You would think that the markets and import costs for the two countries were quite similar. Maybe Canadians are just more sensible than Americans (as with most things!) when it comes to fuel economy and reliability :)

Anyway, as for your problem, I think you could have difficulty in finding an auto transmition for a K10 Micra, especially in Canada. I think it would be fairly difficult in the U.K. too as most Micras here have a manual gear box.

If you can, get it fixed by a garage. It's not really a do it yourself job if you don't have much knowledge about mechanical stuff.

If it can't be repaired, I would suggest that from your location, possibly importing an auto transmition from Japan could work out better, although it would still be very expensive and probably more than the value of the car.

Hi thanks for yor reply,

I really love the car, cheap on gas. I love it more than my new beetle.

How hard is it to rebuild one? Do I need to prepare any replacement parts? I usually replace my own brakes, do some other basic maintenance.

The car can't run anymore anyway, what do I have to lose if I mess up :)

I even feel like going to mechanic school to learn so I can fix it. I really hate to see it in scrap yard :( if it can't be fixed.

Do you know any online place that sells micra parts?

Windhy

Look on ebay for all the scrap yard micras which are being broken, then phone them up or email them asking if its an auto.

Or submit your phone number and request on one of those parts request websites.

I think I might have found one. It is from Micra 89

Transmission/Transaxle Assembly
1.2L AT FLR

Do you think it will fit my micra?

I'm going to call them tomorrow and hopefully he still has it. I miss driving the little car :(

it should fit, i think all auto boxes were the same.

All thoughthe K10 was sold in canada it never was in the U.S. as it never met with the crash test regulations at the time

I found some listing of used auto trannies. Not sure which is the best to get though, I already have a mechanic is willing to help me out for a little fee. Basically, what do I need? Also is it a direct bolt, something that I can replace myself? (I can change brakes and other basic maintenance)

Can someone help me pick which to get from this list? I can't wait to revive my baby again.

Transmission
Nissan Micra
NO TORQUE
63,177-101,734km

Transmission
Nissan Micra
1.2L,,AT,FLR

Transmission
Nissan Micra
W-TORQUE

Transmission
Nissan Micra
RAN OK

Transmission
Nissan Micra
CODE A
69,908-112,573

Transmission
Nissan Micra
1-89,FWD,AT,
108,426-174,599km

Condition Description from the site:
A = Less than or equal to 60k miles, or greater than 60k miles but less than or equal to 200k miles and less than or equal to 15k miles per year

B = Greater than 60k miles and less than or equal to 200k miles but greater than 15k miles per year

C = Greater than 200k miles

I don't want to get the wrong part to replace my auto tranny.

Thank you!

Hey, I'm from Southern Ontario... I've actually only seen ONE other Micra in my area, and it was brown.. I should've waved the to the guy, honked my horn or something... but I was in too much shock to believe that there was ACTUALLY another Micra owner around my area hahaha Man, it would be cool if we lived close together, then we could do some cruises or something lmao. My Micra is stick-shift though, I like automatic cars, but I usually fall asleep behind the wheel cause I get so bored while driving them hehe.

brown!? haha that must be mine. What color is urs? Is urs 4 doors? I think I saw one with light color, don't remember what color it was. Yeah def. we should get together once I have mine fixed :(

Do you know anyone/place selling a used working auto tranny? Mine just gone

I like stick shift but it was the only choice I had.

Btw, I'm from southern too

it's not possible to convert to stick-shift eh? (that question's directed to anyone who knows the answer lol) but no, mine's a 3-door hatchback... it WAS a light blue, very weather worn... but i stripped that off and painted it tremclad black... btw, i live in Hamilton... i saw the brown car near Dofasco's main office and center mall.... man would it be cool if that was you lol

that cant be mine. Mine is also 3 door hatchback. I live about 30mins away from toronto. Where do you search for micra parts?

I don't know if it's possible to convert but i would love too. I rather drive stick than auto.

I can't wait to get mine fixed and drive it around again. we should setup a GTG later :)

I finally found one with 190k kms when it was removed, from 1987.

There is another one for a lot cheaper but the place is about 5hrs away from my place and he can't guarantee it's still good. It was removed in 1995 and it had a little over 100k kms.

What does NO TORQUE mean?

If you do, take pics! First international MSC-related meet! :)

I went to Toronto in December 2005, Canada is a lovely part of the world actually :)

I do envy your petrol prices though!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/james-msc/344531718/in/set-72157594457478490/

UK people, that is 89.5 Canadian cents (~40 UK pence) per litre, we pay about 89.5 UK pence per litre!

I know this is off topic, but damn...i gotta stop griping about our prices... i heard it was pricey elsewhere, but i never realized it was THAT much of a difference... it might be cheaper to pump it at our pumps and ship it to you lmfao...

back on topic... so WOW.. i just discovered that there's THREE Micras for SURE in Canada lmao.. i hope you get yourself a tranny soon eh? I googled the conversion of auto to manual.. there's a brilliant walkthrough for a saab 900... lol... i think it'll be worth a read eh? http://www.saabnet.com/sites/900conversion/900convert.pdf i'm sure SOME of these steps you can use, just change the name "saab 900" to "k10 micra" lol good luck!

I know this is off topic, but damn...i gotta stop griping about our prices... i heard it was pricey elsewhere, but i never realized it was THAT much of a difference... it might be cheaper to pump it at our pumps and ship it to you lmfao...

Yeah, and then some, wanna get me a quote on shipping costs? :p

Anyone knows what "NO TORQUE" means? Sorry, I'm totally blind at this.

I want to get the cheapest one I found but it has NO TORQUE, whatever that means, I want a full working tranny.

I think i do but since i fell aspleep in all the auto box lessons at college oh what the hell. I think it means the the torque converter.

I think i do but since i fell aspleep in all the auto box lessons at college oh what the hell. I think it means the the torque converter.

that would make sense... if the car were to have no torque at ALL you basically would be better of riding a bike lol where are you finding these trannies btw.. are you calling wreckers, or is there like a used micra store in Canada lol

Well I got the tranny 2 days ago but the labor cost to replace it is gonna cost me twice the amount of what the tranny cost. They said there is a lot of work, the axle has to come out, radiator, battery. Can you just drop it from the bottom?

I'm going to talk with my friend, see if he can help me. Is there a guide to replace micra tranny somewhere that I can use it as a reference. Haynes isn't much of help.

I have a ramp and all the tools I need I think.

I really dont want to give her up to some scrap yard.

Well I got the tranny 2 days ago but the labor cost to replace it is gonna cost me twice the amount of what the tranny cost. They said there is a lot of work, the axle has to come out, radiator, battery. Can you just drop it from the bottom?

I'm going to talk with my friend, see if he can help me. Is there a guide to replace micra tranny somewhere that I can use it as a reference. Haynes isn't much of help.

I have a ramp and all the tools I need I think.

I really dont want to give her up to some scrap yard.

Good job on managing to get one. They must be less scarce in Canada than I originally thought. I'm surprised the Haynes manual isn't much help, that usually covers pretty much everything.

I'm sure someone with a lot more knowledge about car mechanics than me can give you some more useful advice, but from what I know replacing the transmittion is no easy task. I'd expect it to cost a fair bit of money for a garage to do it, but I think its probably worth it if you love the car that much as I know that Micras are still pretty rare over there - it might be difficult to purchase another one in the future.

i was damn lucky to get mine.... the only reason there was still a micra in my area was because a Nissan parts manager and his friend (nissan mechanic who does my dirty work now hehe) kept it alive! it was beautiful when i took it off his hands :) for $500 CAD (~215 Pounds) it came with new brakes, new clutch, upgraded speakers and deck, 4 winters with black steelies, 4 all-seasons with rims, random bits like oil filters, hoses etc, the gear linkage was done, oil change.. and considering he's the parts manager it comes with lifetime supply of rad fluid and windshield washer fluid :grinning: it's a rare car, and I absolutely love it... i hope the car will outlive me actually hehe :wasntme:

Anyways.... does the car need to be on a hoist to replace the tranny? cause if not, i'll ask my buddy how much he'd charge to do it... he'll do it on his spare time of course, but it'll be at LEAST half of what you would pay at a garage...

Finally made a deal with my neighbour behind my house to work in his home shop. It still cost twice of the tranny but I think they will do good job. It should be ready by tuesday or wednesday, hooray. Hopefully there won't be anything else needs to be fixed, soon I'll be driving the micra again.

What should I do to the old tranny?

How long usually is the life of a tranny?

Hey Burfy, prepare for some micra action soon ;) I found a 1986 micra 2 doors with only little less than 59,000kms but I think they are asking too much. It's beautiful. No rust at all.

niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice!!! imo i think a tranny's life depends on the driver lol... oh wow though, how much are they asking for the '86 micra?? and as for the old tranny, rip it apart... get a guide on rebuilding auto trannies and have some fun with it lol there's really no loss if you totally muck it up hehe...

Finally made a deal with my neighbour behind my house to work in his home shop. It still cost twice of the tranny but I think they will do good job. It should be ready by tuesday or wednesday, hooray. Hopefully there won't be anything else needs to be fixed, soon I'll be driving the micra again.

What should I do to the old tranny?

How long usually is the life of a tranny?

Hey Burfy, prepare for some micra action soon ;) I found a 1986 micra 2 doors with only little less than 59,000kms but I think they are asking too much. It's beautiful. No rust at all.

Well I'm certainly impressed with your commitment to fixing that Micra! I think you've made the right decision and it's really good that you wanted to stick with something thats individual, rather than just scrapping it and buying something generic. I hope it gives you many more years of fun :)

As for the old transmittion, I'd say your probably just best off scrapping it - I don't think its going to be of much use now. As for how long the life of the transmittion is, it depends on how many km's the one you have just purchased has done.

I believe that auto transmittions *usually* last longer than manuals and I can tell you from experience that my Grandfather has an 87' K10 Micra with a manual transmittion thats just starting to get a bit crunchy. It's on 65,000 miles (about 104,000km if I have added up correctly) so for an auto you should be looking at way above those figures.

As I said though, it depends on how the car is driven and the distance the tranny you just purchased has done.

Hope that you and Burfy are able to get something together soon anyway, would be great to start taking the club meetings international! :)

and as for the old tranny, rip it apart... get a guide on rebuilding auto trannies and have some fun with it lol there's really no loss if you totally muck it up hehe...

Thats a good point actually. If you have enough time on your hands you could use the old tranny to learn about them. If you break it or can't put it back together then its no problem :)

a quick update.

We got the old tranny off. we were comparing between the two. the newer one I got from 1987 has radiator lines but not the old one. Is there a solution to this than replacing the whole radiator? Cheaper solution what I mean lol.

I was told it's still ok if I don't take the car on the highway.

I noticed that the old one has vents on the top and it wasn't attached to the radiator.

mod your rad, or make a Y fitting in the tube going into your engine and route it to your tranny? it might be harder on the rad though.. it's hard to say how it'll handle the extra heat... if worse comes to worse find a small rad from the scrapper, mount it on the opposite side of your other rad and dedicate it to your tranny lmao. :laugh:

that sounds like a good idea. let me talk to them, c if they can do it.

The rad is going too and need to be replaced sometimes soon. I dont have the extra cash to spend on a rad right now, I can replace it myself, just need the part.

going back to their garage tomorrow to check on the progress.

well, passed by my neighbour house on my way back from work but it was too late to bother them but the car is on the ground! they said if I see it's on the ground that means everything went well and car is ready to go.

Can't wait to get it. Still a problem though, the tranny rad. lines. I've got to do something with it.

I look forward to it hehe.. how much are they asking!! I might invest in it and use the one I got now as a parts car lol. or a practice drift car/field beater hehe OR I'll convince my bud to buy it cause he's got a good chunk of money and no car atm... I would love to have another Micra to cruise with lol

oh yeah the car has stick shift too, I wish I have some money to spare.

search on autotrader.ca I think I found it there, don't really remember.

but they were asking about CAD$2,600 or 2,700

hey if you get it, let me use some parts from ur old micra ;)

Mine has rusted here n there corners

Aww boooo, it's already sold http://www.allstarautosales.com/autolnk.html

Oh well.. $2700 is a little out of my range anyways... I'll stick with what I have =)

Just a random tidbit of info, I read back and saw you asked where I got Micra parts from, I've got connections really (my neighbour is a Nissan parts manager) so I get things wholesale price (yay!) but I've found Part Source has a vast amount of stuff for Micras, sadly they're on the pricey side, but they do have it... They had my front struts, they got my my k&n filter, spark plugs are there, etc... One thing for sure is DON'T go to a Nissan dealer, but I'm sure you already knew that haha

looking for a k&n filter for the ma12? <-- click it!

I just go to canadian tire to get those parts they have all

I wish this car were more popular like vw golf, jetta (I actually was looking for a small old vw, almost got a fox but found the micra was closer and a lot less mileage) but it's easier to get new or old parts for vw cars. like I can't get a new quarter panel for the micra or a new hatchback (mine has hole from rust, i used some body filler to cover it lol)

Oh yeah the mechanic just ran a pipe from both rad. lines on the tranny, he said should be fine, keep it circulating. going for some test drives tomorrow.

hey when are you gonna be around here? :)

do you think nissan dealer still able to get new specific parts like new body panel, some micra accessories, etc stuff like that? maybe they have some leftover old micra parts stock somewhere in their warehouse.

look at that scooter's price only $95 less than the micra LOL they probly have about the same power lol

Awesome, just keep an eye on your temp gauge hehe... Canadian Tire + Part Source = same thing hehe... Only difference is that part source is more geared (no pun intended) towards cars :) Unfortunately I'm not 100% sure if you can get new quarter panels (especially from the dealer) nevermind the cost it would be to get it from them... The best thing to do is peel the quarter panel off your car, get a gallon of bondo and a gallon of tremclad, and go to town on it lol... Make sure you grind off ALLL the rust and grind or sand about an extra 2-3 inches around the rust spot and bam you got yourself a nice "new" quarter panel. In the summer I'm actually taking off all of my quarter panels, door panels, etc and sanding down the insides of them and coating them with tremclad... I also gotta fix the pit forming in the floor on the driver's side lol Considering it's snowy as hell I'm not gunna be going too far today, or even tomorrow... I might be able to cruise around on sunday perhaps, that would be a good time to meet up :grinning:

If you don't know how to use bondo, believe me, give it a shot, it's REALLY not as hard as it looks lol... Just make sure you get the bondo that needs a hardener in it, don't get the one that cures in the sun.. It takes WAYYYYYY too long... Enjoy!

I think that's what I got, a bondo. Hey when youre doing that in the summer. let me know, cuz I'm not sure how to sandblast preps n stuff.

my mech just told me he had to rewire something form the tranny cuz the wire is different from the 84's tranny. doesn anyone know what that wire for? I searched haynes but found nothing.

Haha, I don't sand blast, I do it alllll by hand.... lmao, well, with machinery in hand :laugh: I don't sand blast though.. I use a rather large sander and a grinder for them loverly pits of rust... It's a little more fun then sand blasting imo... You really respect your work after haha! I can't wait for the summer :glare: If we get anymore snow I'll cry :doh:

Back