Crunching Gears

Arnold

www.alanarnold.co.uk
Site Supporter
Hello!

When putting my car in reverse, 7 out of 10 ten times it will really crunch. On occasion, it slips in fine but mostly it'l really sound crap and looks like i dont know how to gear change!

The 5 normal gears are fine. Anyone got any ideas why this might be happening? The box was recon back in January and the clutch was looking fine then.

Cheers
Arnold

Mine does this crunchy thing too, different noise though doesnt sound like the gears themselfs... synchomesh??

This is someone who knows nothing about gearboxes... what does the synchromesh do?

AMY has said the most likely thing to be the problem here...

Ed said:
AMY has said the most likely thing to be the problem here...

...where?...lol

Mine cruunch a bit on a morning...nothing so bad that they won't mesh though.

ALAN: top tip! I will be tryin this one out nex time i reverse on a morning....

AMY said:
Your clutch might me dragging slightly.

So whats the cure for that?

I'l try that first gear thing as a temporary measure! Still makes a slight grind even if i've driven forwards first, but its not as bad. When going into reverse from scratch, it either grinds in slowley like someone's having an electric drill put through there teeth, or it'l make one quick loud grind - either way, both sound very unhealthy and embarrasing! along with the random suspension noises i have etc.

New car? lol

It could do with an oil change so might get the gearbox oil done at the same time :)

Paul: The driving gears are synchromeshed, reverse is not. As far as i'm aware anyway. Gears are usually helical cut to reduce the noise generated from the gears.

Arnold: Assuming that the clutch friction plate isn't sticking to the input shaft, try turning the adjuster on the gearbox end to take some of the slack out of the cable. There should be a certain amount of free play in the cable, check the tolerances in your haynes manual. Too much will mean that most of the pedal travel will be expended taking up the slack, and not disengaging the clutch.

AMY said:
Paul: The driving gears are synchromeshed, reverse is not. As far as i'm aware anyway. Gears are usually helical cut to reduce the noise generated from the gears.

Arnold: Assuming that the clutch friction plate isn't sticking to the input shaft, try turning the adjuster on the gearbox end to take some of the slack out of the cable. There should be a certain amount of free play in the cable, check the tolerances in your haynes manual. Too much will mean that most of the pedal travel will be expended taking up the slack, and not disengaging the clutch.

i thought all reverse gears were straight cut hence the whining noise where ur in reverse. i didnt know if beacuse of this arangement it wears more than the other gears

K10 reverse is straight cut and has no synco mesh. Hence if you change gear into reverse slowly or the clutch drags it will crunch. two options change gear quicker (lol) or sort out the biting point if its too high already.

Back