K&N Panel Filter - Needs To Be Declared?

Hello all, long time lurker here!

Currently driving a K11C 1.0, pretty happy with it, apart from the being bullied and cut up by nearly every other road user part :(

My air filter and spark plugs need to be changed soon, and I was thinking about fitting a K&N stock replacement panel, and Denso Iridium plugs to give the lil' Micra a bit more pep, just to hold my own in traffic.

Question is, because these are straight replacements for "consumable" parts, that are vital for the cars operation, do they need to be declared to the insurance company?

It's not as if I'm going to be sticking a wide boy body kit and 17" wheels on, I'm just replacing worn out parts. Anyone got any suggestions?

Nick

If you ever get questioned on it just say 'I had no idea, previous owner must've done it, I can't even use a spanner'

If you ever get questioned on it just say 'I had no idea, previous owner must've done it, I can't even use a spanner'

What olly is trying to say is, Yes you should declare it as it's better to be honest. When they ask how many extra hp does it give the answer will be 1 max.

I've owned the car since new, so that's unfortunately not an option! :doh:

Seriously, if I stack it, will the insurance person really pop open the air box to check if I've changed the filter to one that looks virtually exactly the same as the standard part?

Just spoken to an someone in the know on the phone, he said anything that is not exactly like it was when the car rolled out of the factory, should be declared. this includes colour matching your bumper trim! So using this logic, If replace the stock wipers with cheapo Halfrauds ones, this will count as a modification and need to be declared, otherwise my insurance will be voided!

I'm trying to keep on the right side of the law here, but it's proving damn difficult just to find out what I can and can't do..

They'll probably want to charge you a bit more, plus a £40 admin fee. I hate insurance companies, it's not a performance or visual mod so I really wouldn't bother

a k&n pannel filter doesnt need to be declared..... my next foor neighbour is a police man and his wife a police woman and they have both told me its a standard component and does not have to be declared, just like you get standard oil filters or a k&n oil filter makes no difference :) and for youre insurance company it doesnt have to be declared and even if you do declare it , it wont raise youre premium or insurance by anything :)

a k&n pannel filter doesnt need to be declared..... my next foor neighbour is a police man and his wife a police woman and they have both told me its a standard component and does not have to be declared, just like you get standard oil filters or a k&n oil filter makes no difference :) and for youre insurance company it doesnt have to be declared and even if you do declare it , it wont raise youre premium or insurance by anything :)

Good point, but insurance will still try to up your premium

definatly do not need to declare a panel filter regardless of what anyone says. your just choosing a different brand thats all. if you put a cone filter on then thats a completely different story.

I must admit I haven't declared mine. It was sitting in a box not being used and when my stock air filter needed replacing, in went the green cotton panel filter. No benefit other than I can clean it when it gets dirty, which is handy with the mileage it gets each year.

Only mod declared is the LPG conversion, which they insist increases my premium even though it's fitted by an approved installer, reduces emissions and actually slows the car down due to weight and it's technically delivering less power than stock.........house always wins lol ;)

basically i dont think it needs replacing, at the end of the day its just a standard fit part from a different manufacturer, would you ring up your insurance and tell them youve fitted a 'fram' air filter? i fitted mine as its got a lifetime of useage, clean it oil it and its good for another 5000 miles, whereas you have to replace the stock filter.

Back