K&N panel airfilter

CMF_mipcar

» CMF Member
Has anyone had experience using the K&N brand of panel filter in their Micras?
These filters are supposed to have long life and give better air flow then a standard paper one but still fit into the standard Micra airbox.

The ones I've seen are not cheap however, seem to be around $75.

Mychael

smidge

» CMF Member
normal story of being careful about oiling it... the oil in the filters can screw with the airflow meter

i've got a pod on a long intake pipe... any oil from the filter i doubt would make it up the pipe

CMF_makes

» CMF Member
Hi mipcar, i used one for a while but unfortunately soon afterwards my airflow meter developed a fault. It might have just been coincidence but I suspect that the oil in the filter might have stuffed up the airflow meter sensor. Perhaps I was just unlucky and they just put too much oil on my filter in the factory ?.

I am sure they are an excellent filter for flow & filtration but I will personally be sticking with paper filters from now on with fuel injected cars.

Of course would be really good for cars with carbies as a bit of oil won't hurt them.

I didn't notice any power or economy increases... or any difference at all really between the K&N and standard factory filter.

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
Just go to nissan and pay a few bucks for a genuine filter mipcar.

Micra's sensitive little hotwire air flow meter does not like moisture, dirt, dust, oil or even bad breath.

And we all know how hard it is to find a good airflow meter these days.

Cheers

CMF_nz_aj

» CMF Member
EVLGTI has a K&N equivalent in his K11, much much cheaper than K&N. Simota brand, part number ON002
http://www.simota.com/pro_fi_stock07.php#n

As far as my experiance goes, all K11 air flow meters are likely to develop faults anytime after 100,000km. It's a couple of hundred dollars to fix & you're good for another 100,000km. I'd guess coincidence.

I've never seen a K&N with too much oil from the factory.

CMF_Dark Side

» CMF Member
Throw the lot away and fit a cold air intake with a decent pod filter sitting up the front of the car somewhere.
That way you get some gains, engine breathes easier and I have never had a problem with the throttle body. I did do the resolder job anyway as a precaution.

CMF_mipcar

» CMF Member
Most of my noise in the cockpit is from the centre consul. I could try removing it and fitting new foam backing strips.
The rear hatch is another, new shocks will fix the worn out shockey knock.

Air intake will give gains if used in conjunction with extractors. I only have extractors and got a good boost, never bothered with cold air till now.

Mychael

Back