APEXi vs K&N

CMF_chippo

» CMF Member
Hi intake guru's

I'm considering one of the following two......

APEXi POWER INTAKE KIT..........Part # 508-N010
K&N 57i Series Induction Kit....Part # 57-0211-1

Can anyone shed some light on these products?
Does the air-flow meter get affected with the K&N kit?

Oh.. If anyone has any pictures of the APEXi kit on their car, please post em pls.
I've already seen the 57i, I just want to get a good look at both these products before making a decision.

Any Help much appreciated! Thanks!

Attachments

• 20599.jpg
    20599.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 40

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
Both will yeild similar power gains (or losses if you consider the fact that they dont have any cold air intake) on an otherwise standard CG13DE.

The K&N will last longer as it can be cleaned when it is dirty. The negatives to this are that it is an oiled filter and oiled filters and air flow meters go together like chalk and cheese - with my experience using the darned things anyway. Plus they're a pain in the ass to clean. I'd rather throw out and start fresh - but thats the lazy side of me talking. :p

The Apexi is a one use only filter, much like your standard panel filter. Once the element is dirty you throw it away. HOWEVER in the Apexi's favour it flows better than the K&N, it filters better (its element membranes trap much, much finer particles than the K&N which relies on the oil to catch the dirt) and holds the possibility of being the solution which is more likely free up a few horsies.

In the end though the decision lies in your hands. Your car and your money. Either one is a proven performer all around the globe.

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
Snoopy WROTE:

"whoa, hot air intake

Yeh I've noticed this about the japanese! They seem to prefer outright airflow over cold air.

If that filter was extended across a bit more over to underneath the wiper motor it would be in a naturally cool area of the engine bay. I did a bit a of budget testing (with my hand :p) in the engine bay after a hot drive and that area underneath the wiper motor is substantially cooler than any other part of the engine bay once i've come to a standstill. I have now re-routed my air intake to this area and also shortened it.

Where I had the intake positioned behind the front grille was silly - the pipe was too long and restrictive, imo, and the grille area isnt even a high pressure spot inside the micra's engine bay. Need to go lower to the bottom bumper airdam to get high pressure feed if you want a ram style intake without using a bonnet scoop or undercar scoop.

Chippo - you better keep an eye on that filer. It looks like it will be rubbing on a few vacuum and that fuel line. Thats not the best thing to have happening in your engine bay... Trust me lol. I just replaced my filter/injector rail fuel line because it had rubbed down to the fibre reinforcement (ie: it was weakened and dangerous) and I can say that working in that general area sucks. Sooooo tight.

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
They're on ebay every now and again. Around $220 for the kit to suit Z11 Cube (which will work fine on our k11).

Its interesting to note that new EPA laws apparently have declared oiled filters to be illegal... Still trying to trace that claim though.

CMF_chippo

» CMF Member
Yeah the kit is a bit pricey at around the AU$250 mark but I havn't got any room up front for the cold air job. With all the air-con and radiator stuff up front.

Later on down the track I might remove the battery and set up a air box arrangement. (see picky) Well similar to this picky.

You can get the APEXi POWER INTAKE KIT Part# 508-N010 from modyourcar.com.au or these dudes on ebay "qualifiedjapaneseparts" www.qjp.jp

http://search-desc.ebay.com.au/508-...atitleZ508Q2dN010QQsbrftogZ1QQsofocusZunknown

Sorry about the long URL - I couldn't hide it and chuck in a label like "Click here".

Expect a little wait cause they won't have them in stock and will put you on back order.

Back