K&N For a Micra K10 1.2 GS

Status
Not open for further replies.

D4R73N

Ex. Club Member
I want to look into a K&N for my K10 1.2 GS...

I know how to fit them, but i aint got a clue which one i need, could you please help me :p

There's only two filters available for the K10

There's a replacement ring filter which looks exactly like any normal one you can buy from halfords. I've got this fitted on mine and means you can keep the existing air pan etc.

The other is the bolt on filter. Its a seperate filter with a metal top and bottom and connects directly to the carb. The air pan would need to be removed.

http://knfilters.com/search/appsearch.aspx

Search here fella. Comes up with a filter, might just be the replacement element though you need the housing too, Rip(off)speed do them but i think members get discounts on K&N's anyway so someone will know the product code.

oh, just read the above! Ever present Arnold :)

id strongly recommend the replacment element over the bolt on filter! will give the best performance gains ;)

At the end of the day, how often are you going to show it off! I'd go for performance than looks anyday

lol

OKOK!!! Anold, you said about the inner one....1) is it louder in lower rev's? and 2) does it give more perfomance than replacement...?

Sorry mate i dont do low revs!! lolol, and i cant hear it as my stereo's too loud. Dont think it makes any extra noise tho.. as for better performance, cant say i've noticed anything really.

Surely the stock box only improves performance initially because of the warm air pipe feed from the manifold (i.e. helps tickover from cold), then when the car gets hot all of that warm air is still being pumped into the carb? Been a while since I had one though so i might remember it wrong

Yeah thats what it does, however i've still got mine set on summer. The cold air really improves things this time of year. Throttle response etc.

With the ECC stuff on the 1.2, i believe the amount of hot or cold air which is pumped into the engine is controlled electronically.

Thanks EVERYONE for you help, but the big question is....

Should I buy the inner filter or not?

i would go for the bolt on. To be honest the performance gains between the replacement element and the bolt on will be small. The bolt on also sounds nice because the noise isnt restricted by the air pan. I ordered my K&N bolt on from halfords for about £50.

Arnold said:
Yeah thats what it does, however i've still got mine set on summer. The cold air really improves things this time of year. Throttle response etc.

With the ECC stuff on the 1.2, i believe the amount of hot or cold air which is pumped into the engine is controlled electronically.

this is true mate the air intake is controled by the vacuum clever little thing it is.

D4R73N said:
Thanks EVERYONE for you help, but the big question is....

Should I buy the inner filter or not?

simple mate do you want it loud? if yes get the bolt on.

do you want the performace and economy? get the internal element ;)

I'd rather the internal then, would that add more performance??

and can you chose how loud you want the bold on, a adjustment for example?

D4R73N - why was you telling me on msn last night that you've had your car dyno'd at 65bhp with a k&N filter on?

Just get a bolt on filter, if you wanna know how loud it is or isnt going to be then drive your car up and down your street with no air filter.

performance wise your looking at a gain of almost nothing

ive drilled holes in my standard air box as i cant be arsed to get a filter for it, i was going to put a HKS mushroom on it that i have spare but the carb hasnt got enough of a lip, shame, i believe the Webber carb has a lip though so a innjection air filter can be bought and put on with a 90 degree bend, this is waht i would do if i had a spare bit of cash

The drilled holes in the air pan method certainly make a different noise. i guess the other advantage of getting the "drop in" K'n'N is that you wont have to change it. Just clean it.
Got some pictures attached of mine if interested.

Attachments

• air pan-no paint.jpg
    air pan-no paint.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 287
  • air pan fitted.jpg
    air pan fitted.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 293
Mark said:
D4R73N - why was you telling me on msn last night that you've had your car dyno'd at 65bhp with a k&N filter on?

I was prob messin, I dident meen to lead you on :)

n e 1 wana sell standard spoiler 4 a k10???:suspect:

driveitlikeyoustoleit said:
n e 1 wana sell standard spoiler 4 a k10???:suspect:

Hey mate, you should launch a new topic in Buy and Sell rather than bring this one up again and take it off topic.

Also, your previous reply to this thread ive moved into a new thread in the K10 general section, called Universal Air Filter :)

Cheers
Arnold

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back