Got an K&N 57i for free

CMF_Virusash

» CMF Member
Hi everyone
i would like some help! i got a free K&N 57i kit and i thought id try it, erm wat is the best way to fit the air intake pipe and if anyone has any tips and pics to use this kit to its highest potential.

i did install the kit and i love the gr8 sound when planting my foot to the floor but i took my 1.0 micra shape on the motorway but it never reaches higher then 95mph at 4,000rpm which is unusual coz b4 installing the kit i could do like 103mph at about 5,400rpm!

Im i doing anything wrong!
thanks for the help in advance

CMF_Brendon

» CMF Member
is that the kit with pod filter sittin straight on top of throttle body??
if so it probably getting way to much hot air. better to have a pipe of throttle body go left and put filter in there somewhere with a nother pipe for a cold air feed.

CMF_Virusash

» CMF Member
yep it is the pod filter on top of the throttle body!
so ur advice is to have a pipe going from the throttle body to the pod filter which should be placed where??
sorry i didnt understand, can u plz explain a little more coz im new to tuning lol
thanx anyway

cisco

» CMF Member
If you just got the filter by itself, even for free you're better off not installing it :)

But if you can hook up any kind of decent duct to place the filter far away from the back of the engine bay, that's what you want.

CMF_Napster

» CMF Member
this isnt probably the way to go, but i remember reading an artical, on this site i think :) bout that NISSAN designed the STANDARD AIRBOX VERYWELL?? i also wanted to add an induction kit to my car. my mate who had one of the quickest micras in the UK (i think) also told me to keep the standard airbox, but change the panel filter?

what i was actuall getting to was that i took off the "standard (black) air intake pipe that comes of the airbox! i then added a "cold air feed pipe" from my front grill, over the engine bay and into the airbox??

this produces a "beefy sound, nothing like a proper induction kit, but i like it"

Napster

CMF_Virusash

» CMF Member
now the induction kit is stalling my engine its soo stupid! everytime i go from a high speed and slow down to like 2nd gear 20mph the engine cuts off and i blame the induction kit unless proven otherwise lol.

anyway id like to give it back to my mate and wondered if i could get and cold air intake system, does anyone know any good cold air induction kits i can get on the market today!

thanx for the help!
i love this website lol

CMF_Napster

» CMF Member
the only way to find out is to install ur old "air filter" back on and then try going from high speed to 2nd?? then u know 4sure its the induction kit.

did u do what another person said (on here) and took it "off the throttle body"?? cause unless u have some major COLD AIR feeding it there, it could be the engine sucking in to much HOT AIR. not good for the engine!!

id swap, and put old intake back on and see if thats the prob first??

Napster

CMF_Toma

» CMF Member
On that topic of 'Nissan designing the air intake well', would it be any benefit just to install a nice heat resistant tube going from the front of the engine bay to the air intake, simply replacing the old plastic intake that runs to the front of the bay? obviously with a bigger diameter and such.

I dunno. im a noobie when it come to this :D

CMF_Napster

» CMF Member
toma - in answer to ur question "correct"!

however, u must be careful with this!

i got rid of the standard plastic intake piping and had my own "intake pipe". ive had to sinse change designs cause of a little bit of HOT air still getting into my air filter box and into the engine :-( thats not good 4the engine!!

i recently found out (possibly u know this), but the coldest air is found "6 inches" off the ground and thats what ur looking 4!!??

also buy taking the piping off the air box, the engine has more of a "Meaner sound" 2it! i like it! lol

good luck lol

napster

CMF_Toma

» CMF Member
Hmmm. 6 inches hey. Soon as a read that i raced outside and searched aimlessly for a space i could fit a 3inch pipe thru to 6 inches off the floor... with no luck. The only place i could do it, is almost behind the radiator, which im sure the area around it would be full of hot air.

Ill keep searching for that magic space and hopefully, put a pipe thru it :D

thanks napster,
Tom.

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
Toma - did you look behind the engine?

Warning - You will need either 2 ramps or 2 jack stands to get under there. Do not ever get under a vehicle supported by a jack, no matter how strong or stable it is.

CMF_Toma

» CMF Member
Yeh, but theres a huge fray of pipes and wires from the aircon it seems. I was considering ciscos air pipe from below, but i cant seem to see a straight path downwards. :/ maybe im lookin at the wrong angle. ill investigate further.

CMF_Napster

» CMF Member
haahaa, yeh, when i was told it was 6" inchs i parked up and changed where my cold intake pipe was before to a new location lol :)

im guessing ur piping is not FLEXABLE AT ALL? mines made out of aluminium (i know its got curves in it reducing SMOOTH air reaching my air box but nevermind)

i moved mine so it follows the ORIGINAL PIPING. look down behind the battery. u should see the ground lol and the "drivetrain" i think??!! (big thing sticking out under engine towards wheels lol) and go between it all the way to the botom of the bumber.

good luck lol

Napster

Back