Just got my micra

Just about to pick up a 1999 1.0 equation in red, no PAS. Mint condition with one old lady from new and 31k! Paid £800 for it so not sure if its a good price but I thought so due to milage.

I sold a 3 yr old laguna diesel for this as sick of electronic gremlins and electrical failures. Plus I only do about 4k a year so this will be ideal.

All I am gonna do to it is re paint the steel wheels and do away with the wheel trims and just leave it standard so parts are cheap and hopefully it will plod around for years.

Joined here as forums are always the best place for help and info when needed to help keep her going.

Do you think it a good idea to change the gear box oil at this age/milage or leave it if it feels ok?

Also there did not seem any rust on the sills but since they rot from inside is there anything I can do to stop it or is it less common without a sunroof?

Cheers

Simon.

Hello & Welcome! (Y) i would still give it a service, just to be on the safe side :D

Yeah I will do a full service come spring. I may do the coolant too as I have some already (not sure if right stuff yet as its the red stuff) Do you think the gearbox oil should be ok left as it is?

Welcome to the club. To be honest if your going to the effort of doing a full service you may aswell change the gearbox oil too. (Y)

Welcome to the club. To be honest if your going to the effort of doing a full service you may aswell change the gearbox oil too. (Y)

Is it easy enough to do? Never changed gearbox oil in my life. I think I need an haynes manual too. Not worried about getting stuck in though as I have plenty of diy car skills from older cars I used to own.

Just a case of undoing a drain plug (square socket) on the underside of the gearbox. To refill there is another plug half way up the front (radiator side) and you just fill until it starts to overflow. Always a good idea to pick up a haynes though :grinning:

Just a case of undoing a drain plug (square socket) on the underside of the gearbox. To refill there is another plug half way up the front (radiator side) and you just fill until it starts to overflow. Always a good idea to pick up a haynes though :grinning:

Cool, I will sort that out too.

Just got it this aft and it runs sweet, engine quiet and no noise from the cam chain. It has blocked rear washer jets and one of each the front also blocked so no doubt full of gunk from using washing up liquid.

It had a crack on the coolant expansion bottle so I prodded it like you do:wasntme: it went and put an hole in it on the top so has duct tape over it until I can find a replacement. None on ebay either so will have to visit a scrappy.

No rust on the sills apart from a tiny bit on the surface but seems solid when prodded. Just an hole the size of a small pea in the spare wheel well which is nothing really.

Back