IPDM Coding

Hi All,

I have an '07 Micra C+C 1.6 with an intermittent starting problem,

After checking a number of things I have learned that a sticky fuel pump relay is responsible. Usually after a little persuasion (Battery off for 10 mins and back on or a tap of the IPDM) I can usually get the car started but it is something I am liiking to fix.

Using the workshop manual, I see in their wisdom that Nissan made the fuel pump relay internal to the IPDM and not user serviceable, therefore the whole IPDM needs to be replaced to solve this frustratingly. Does anybody know if the IPDM needs to be coded, as I see some threads where perople say it does and some where people say it doesnt. Also does anyone have any experience with salvage IPDM's?

I have contacted Nissan UK about this and after a few discussions they recommend I change the IPDM also, however I dread to imagine the cost of doing this at a dealership,

Cheers,
Ricky

A good electronical repair shop can most likely solder in a new relais.
This picture seems to suggest that they are plug in (as you would expect), no soldering needed.......
K12 IPDM relays.jpg

There are a total of 16 relays in the IPDM, there you can see the 8 serviceable ones. The fuel pump relay is one of the 8 internal, non serviceable relays in the IPDM.
Although a different ar, the Versa has the same engine and this thread shows this:

In my case however the fuel pump is fine and the harness is also fine, it is the fuel pump relay that has gone and I need a new IPDM (Not keen on having it opened up and soldered, I am keeping the car long term so no point in bodging)

View attachment 66765
John_D, the above diagram shows what the relays you are referring to are which are serviceable
I suppose the quick 'cheap' option is to buy a second hand IPDM (less than £50) and do a swap over. If, as I suspect, they are not coded to the car, it will solve your problem, but if it needs coding then it will not work but you will only be marginally worse off, but still have the option of getting someone with the correct coder to code it to your car.....

Thank you for your input John,

Thats what I am planning to do, I am hoping its plug and play but I am also concerned about buying a unit with the same or worse issues than I am having;

I guess thats the nature of second hand parts!

Cheers,
Ricky

Previous practice & recent successful experience suggests that the IPDM control CPM digital data communications with the K12 vehicles ECU is invariably match set coded?

The following thread just about confirms same with an economical repair/coding source.

Reference: https://www.micra.org.uk/threads/ipdm.70558/#post-777499

Additionally check very carefully the power input/output & data connection plugs & wire terminations within for any sign of loose wire crimps & loose plug in connections.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Bloody Renault designed electrical system :mad:

The K12 is what it is, a comedy of big business planned obsolescence Nissan/Renault cost cutting errors that does not make a long lived reliable, durable, therefore economical “bangernomics” £500 banger that can stand comparison with the legendary K11.

Reference; http://bangernomics.tripod.com/intro.htm

Take a look at the original “bangernomics" principles that have saved me tens of thou not wasted buying cars in the last 23 years of my motoring experience.

The website now looks ancient, but that is the whole point of durable reliable low cost “bangernomics”. The principles remain consistent, hewn from granite just like the K11. ;)

Last edited:
Back