IPDM

Hi, does anyone know if the K12 IPDM is encoded? Mine went kaput the other day (no headlight or wipers) but the replacement IDPM doesn't seem to work, as the car won't crank. The faulty module had the following details - 0220 4J07 284B7AX615. The replacement has - 2697 4L07 284B7AX615. I thought only the last batch of digits mattered (the 284B7AX615), as that's the serial number that seems to get quoted. Am I wrong and have bought the incorrect IPDM? Any help gratefully accepted!

Did you get an answer for this? I have exactly the same issue. Headlamps did not work. Replaced IPDM and replacement unit headlamps work fine but car will not crank. Is there a way to reset or does it have to be encoded?

Did you get an answer for this? I have exactly the same issue. Headlamps did not work. Replaced IPDM and replacement unit headlamps work fine but car will not crank. Is there a way to reset or does it have to be encoded?

Refit the original IPDM & it will hard reset bootstrap its software/coding & is likely to work ok if it is undamaged

Last edited:
Yes - the car is currently running now fine with the original IPDM. However, the dipped headlights don't work with this IPDM - hence why I wanted to replace it. Apparently the IPDM has to be programmed to the car like the ECU and BCM. I never would have guessed a fuse box needed programming, but apparently it's a bit more than that in the back of it. I'm sending the replacement unit off to see if I can get the original cloned onto it.

Intelligent power distribution module failure is most likely due to part or parts of the on board input/output power switching ports, terminals, printed circuits dry joints, & power transistors/reed relays.

Often close inspection with magnifying glasses & multimeter continuity testing can reveal simple defects in the input & output power circuits that can be easily rectified with a fine soldering iron/fine multicore solder.

Good luck

Last edited:

John_D

Club Member
Radio Code Guru
I assume that you have done the obvious and checked the low beam fuses (39 &40) in the IPDM. If these are OK the fault could be in the steering column stalk switch (which might explain the wiper problem as well) as both high and low beams work off of the same power feed, independently fused after the switching, or so the wiring diagram in the 'Haynes Book of Lies' suggests.... Check the power in and out of the switch no power out of the swich on low beam suggests a fault there....

SOLUTION:
Ok - so I took plmval's advice and opened of the IPDM and inspected for bad joints etc. Clearly someone had been at it before because there was some bad soldering blobby mess on some connections. The board looked pretty ropey though with what I suspect is water damage. Anyway, I did my best to clean and resolder. However, the car still had the same problem of start ok but no dipped lights.

So I sent it of to JC cars in Norwich along with the replacement eBay unit for which everything worked but no crank.
Justin of JC was able to find the eprom on the original IPDM and read, store and recode the replacement unit as a clone.
I've just installed it and everything works perfectly.

So there you have it. If you want to replace any of the following, Key, BCU, ECU or IPDM you will have to clone the original from the replaced eprom. Alternatively you can buy a complete kit of all of these components on eBay from a scrapped car.

NB: there are some videos on YouTube of people replacing the IPDM with a new one where they go through a sequence of door unlocking etc to code the new unit. I suspect the new units have blank eprom and there is a write once routine that programs the eprom. After it has been coded you have to use the cloning method above.

Yes you are correct. They also previously supplied a cloned ECU because the garage thought it was faulty. With hindsight it was the dodgy IPDM all along.
Justin of JC Cars has been incredibly helpful. Really good prompt service too. He didn’t originally think the IPDM needed coding so ours was his first one.

More importantly, may I ask what were the total JCM charges for this IPDM repair process?

I say importantly as many K12s are scrapped with such failures as the quotes for repair price often exceed the vehicles value.

Last edited:
It was £25 for the replacement IPDM on eBay. (Buy it now) and £85 for the flash cloning.
ECU cloning is less as he sends the replacement from stock. Just send in the old ECU.

You can buy the complete set of ECU, BCM, IPDM and key all encoded together on eBay for around £185.