Interesting tip for solving shifter rattle

cisco

» CMF Member
In you have an aftermarket shifter knob, you can try re-installing the factory one. Part of its design is being solid, heavy rubber which helps dampen vibrations coming from the gearbox. A lot of the aftermarket ones are very light and get thrown around too easily making vibrations come through or sound louder.

After recently solving my shifter rattle, but it coming back a tiny bit within the past couple of weeks, I tried this yesterday.

It has definately reduced the volume of the rattle noises, however not eliminated them. I also noticed that the shifter is smaller, so the shift throw ends up lower/shorter compared to the larger aftermarket item.

So I'm quite happy with it, and it feels like an upgrade in removing this aftermarket item and going back to factory!

There are so many subtle design features built into factory items that you don't even notice.

CMF_micragirl

» CMF Member
My factory fitted gear shift has vibrated since the car was new, you have to drive with your hand on the gear knob to quieten it down, its particularly noisy up around the 100kp/h mark :(...another annoying rattle is the parcel shelf, and yes I did what someone said and tightened the lugs but it made no difference.

cisco

» CMF Member
Damn since brand new! That's bloody crappy from Nissan.

Did they try to fix it for you ever?

CMF_micragirl

» CMF Member
I mentioned it at the 1000 klm service, they said they adjusted it but told me that it was a "nissan" thing....doesn't seem to affect the performance, I can change gears pretty quick, my reverse crunches sometimes too and sometimes the only way you can get it in reverse is to drive forward a fraction :S

Back