Insurance!

R05_Micra

Ex. Club Member
just had a company rang me there and they wanted 2100 quid at 17, no NCB, u no usual 17 year old just passed test stuff.
right , im not paying that, ide rather walk,get a bus. any one in the same boat got it cheap or could some one recomend a company at all?
ta guys, not paying silly amonuts, ide rather seel my car which i dnt wanna do! :(

Not being, but when i was 17 i had the same problem, and if there is one thing i have learn't, its that online quotes are stupidly unacurate...

I did a quote online for Norwich Union... they said 1,700 for my 1.2 Micra K10

Phoned them up the next day, same details ect...1,125 for the same car...

My 1.0 K11 when i passed my test 3 months after i turned 17 cost £1600 to insure, that was the cheapest from ASDA insurance.

1.2 K10 is cheap at 1700 for your age i'd say.

doing pass plus (or at least a bit of it) saved me 48% with norwich union in my first year, which was about £1000 saving at the time.

me on a provisional my 1.0 ls 1990 micra me as the main driver and no other drivers, i have a online quote of around 1200 WITHOUT mods , i hoping that a bodykit and alloys wont push it up much o_O, but i have found online quotes to be higher than over the phone

also i have got quotes for a k10 super s and a k11 super s and they are also around the 1200-1300 mark which i didnt think was bad from norwich union fully comp

D4R73N said:
Not being, but when i was 17 i had the same problem, and if there is one thing i have learn't, its that online quotes are stupidly unacurate...

I did a quote online for Norwich Union... they said 1,700 for my 1.2 Micra K10

Phoned them up the next day, same details ect...1,125 for the same car...

mines the other way around :D i phoned for my insurance i have now..and i went online last week for a quote and its nearly half the price....im changing it over next week

i just went on norwich union again and got a quote of 1235 full comp with 220excess, then i went on there rapid bonus thing and it droped to 935 full comp

but then i looked down and saw in small writing "Young driver excess 17-20 years: additional £250" on the normal bonus and on the rapid bonus its "additional £350"

know i dont think i will be having a excess of £470 or £570 on a car valued at £500

Policy Type: Third Party, Fire and Theft
Cover start date: 17 Jan 2006
Cover end date: 16 Jan 2007
NCD years: None
Vehicle use: Social, Domestic and Pleasure only (SD&P)
Vehicle kept: Driveway
Vehicle excess: £220
Review your additional covers (you can select change cover below to amend these)
Courtesy Car (optional): No
Legal Expenses (optional): Yes
Foreign use (optional): No
European Cover (optional): No
Physiotherapy cover (optional): No

Vehicle details
Make/model: 1994 NISSAN MICRA TROPIC
Cubic capacity: 0998
Security Device: Manufacturer's fitted device
Tracker: No tracking device
Transmission: Manual
Fuel Type: Petrol

Your quote includes a 20% premium discount off our standard rates for quoting online

£3476.00

luv that"including 20% bonus" bit hahahaha no way!

opt for the higher excess and don't crash. :D

that's how i did it, think mine was 900, plus i had a multi-lock fitted to the gear lever which helped, then i did the pass plus and that helped a little, but very few insurance companies offer discounts for it i've found. it's helping more now than it did when i was 18!

Just gotta pay it i'm afraid, no way around it, gutting really.

my dad had a knock off the little prick down the road with them, and they are terrable with people been hit by there drivers! the little toss pot, hate him so much, glad he dun his car more damage than me dads! he was nearly in tears,19 years old haha!gimp im!

i think you should try confused.com they are good, also try churchill and lloyds TSB they were good for me when i had my first car.

I highly recommend doing pass plus. I didnt actually do it but i said i did, and got a huge discount. They eventually forgot about me not sending them the certificate or whatever you get so i got 1 years NCD easy peasy lol. Obviously you'd benefit from the experience pass plus gives too!

That was with Tesco online.

Must be an absolute bummer tho, you pass your test and feel you've got complete freedom and then you get a stupid quotes like that + running costs on top!

Go as a named driver under your mum/dads name in first year and it will make it alot cheaper. My first year was £900 for a 1.0 k10 under my mums name. 2nd year under my own name £683 with 0 years no claims bonus. and now its £511 with 1 years no claims bonus. Thats with Admiral

when i was 19 i was insured fully comp through admiral on a brand new 1.2 K12 for £1045. with no ncb or pass plus. Was my first car.

last year when i was 17 NCB etc it was £1080 fully comp on my own for a 1.3 K11, girlie with full pass plus. this year for my new 1lt K11, still NCB, still pass plus and still a girl, its £350.
im with elephant.co.uk :D
oh, and if you are looking for a small shift in prices, try adding a grandparent as a second driver. saved me about £300

D4R73N said:
Did thay not ask you for a certificate number, I had to give mine.

He obviously made up some poo that it was in the post or something!!!! Not a clever thing to do tho as u can get fined for giving out false detail's!!!

In fact, if that lie is still in his insurance policy, its technically completely NULL and VOID and in the case of an accident the insurance company are well within their rights to refuse to pay up.

i got asked for my certificate number with elephant but not with swinton. however, i totally DO NOT recommend swinton. i used them for my 1.3, paid monthly and when i went down to cancel the woman worked out this big huge calculation which ended in me owing them £200, them owing me £130, and then me paying £30 admin for cancelling my fees! in the end i just cancelled my direct debit and told them i wasnt paying anything

James said:
In fact, if that lie is still in his insurance policy, its technically completely NULL and VOID and in the case of an accident the insurance company are well within their rights to refuse to pay up.

He's Right...

i hate my insurance atm........i got home to find "adr" had left a message about taking my car in past 1 o'clock to be fixed ,so they would have a courtesy for me.
so gave them a ring back,just to let them know what time ide be there,i also asked if the third part had accepted liability so that i didnt have my 470 excess to pay :eek:.....but no they hadnt!! :s
so i got onto the third partys insurance to find out whats going on! and they said they have told norwich union that he accepted all the blaim..and they dont see why norwich union havent told the garage about this...

back onto norwich union and they have no records of a letter,fax,call from them.
so i got back onto third parts insurane and they are now dealing with my claim,,same garage and everything,and i have canceled my claim with my insurance...because hey dont speak good clear english and i cant understand them!! they are slow mand expensive

need to find a new insurance company when this is sorted,,cant go through this trouble again if i have another acccident

True, he will have to change companies too.
If he rings up and says "well...actually.. i dont have it" they will say, "okay you owe us ££££"
My advise to arnold, change companies asap.

RIK said:
because hey dont speak good clear english and i cant understand them!! they are slow mand expensive
need to find a new insurance company when this is sorted,,cant go through this trouble again if i have another acccident
Ask to speak to someone who speaks better english, it isnt racist, you might just think it is. Also, since they all use names like "John" "Dave" and "Mike" dont just take their name for granted, they might beable to speak perfect english, but they might not be able to understand it very well.

D4R73N said:
He's Right...

No he isnt

The one years NCD is only valid for the first year. After being on the road for one year, your NCD remains at the same amount. The only reason the policy is cheaper is because you get older. Ive been driving over two years now so it doesnt matter if i 'lied' or not!! the policy has since been cancelled and renewed as i got a cheaper quote.

Also, i didnt make anything up! I genuinly went to do it but the instructor i passed my test with said its best to do it in your own car, not the one you passed the test in. Once i got the car, i told tesco i had plans to complete it so they honoured the discount. I became ill (again), didnt complete it, but tesco completely forgot anyway

I never gave them any false details, as i never once said to them i've completed it. I said i had plans to do it - two different things! Also, i signed the contract for the price they gave me! Signed, sealed and sorted. They cant start upping the price once its been issued, and they certainly cant ring me up and ask for XXX amount now the policy has expired. Maybe at the time.

How many people here have modified there cars and not declaired them? Thats a definite invalidation of your policy!

Back