Inside fan only operating on full

Hiya :)
First post on the forum :)

My parents have bought me my first car, a 51 reg Nissan Micra k11.

I have now discovered that the fan for my heater/cooler ( no air-con :( ) only works when I put it on full power... On all other settings, it just doesn't work...

I have checked the connector on the back of the switch (after taking the dashboard apart) and it is securely connected. I don't really know where to start as it seems the switch is sealed... Any ideas? Do I need a new panel of switches? Any ideas if I can check the wires for faults or lack of power?

Thanks in advance

haha ... don't moan about not having air-con, be thankful for a car!! i dunno, the youth of today! LoL!

I'm new to micra's myself ... but sounds like a simple fuse to me. On the other cars i've had, the interior fan has had blower settings 1, 2 and 3 on one fuse circuit and setting 4 on another fuse! Who know, you might even fix another fault at the same time that you never even know you had!

I'm sure someone else will be along soon to correct me if i'm wrong.

i think you need new heater resistor card from nissan or ebay and replace it. its underneath your glovebox. no need to take the glovebox of just look underneath you gonna see connector of 4 wires going into card held by two bolts. you need to undo these and replace.

Ive gotta ask same thing really lol cos its defo unusual but again defo origanal lol n yea i have same problem with the heater i just turn the temperiture one on half after its warmed up lol

look under the glove box-----you have to have your head looking from the floor under the glovebox upwards youse a flashlight/light source and its right their infront of you star screwdriver or 10 mm soket i think
2 screws to undoo and the card slots out
the lifted part on the card is the resister if its still around----but thats the part you have to bridge between the contacts on the board

I picked it cuz I'm special ;) The doctor said so :D :p

Anyway, found the board and removed it... All the tracks were broken! :( So I soldered connections between the broken pieces, but when I used the fan, the board gets so hot that the solder just melts and falls off :( So I don't really know how to fix the board...

I was contemplating building my own circuit using actual resistors to limit the voltage so that there would be less heat, but I'm now contemplating completely destroying the mechanism behind the switch on the dash and installing a potentiometer/rheostat directly through the 12v input to the fan/motor which drives the fan... Going to try and do it so that the switch still looks stock... Should be fun :p

Will post pictures of my work if I get it sorted... and if anyone is interested? Will start hacking it apart later today...
Wish me luck ;)
Now to find my chainsaw.....

the heat from the resistor card helps to demist your screen while the engine is warming up (if you use a low setting), and a 60w headlamp bulb (wired in series) will drop the motor speed by about a 1/2 :grinning:

Anyway, found the board and removed it... All the tracks were broken! :( So I soldered connections between the broken pieces, but when I used the fan, the board gets so hot that the solder just melts and falls off :( So I don't really know how to fix the board...

I was contemplating building my own circuit using actual resistors to limit the voltage so that there would be less heat, but I'm now contemplating completely destroying the mechanism behind the switch on the dash and installing a potentiometer/rheostat directly through the 12v input to the fan/motor which drives the fan... Going to try and do it so that the switch still looks stock... Should be fun :p

Will post pictures of my work if I get it sorted... and if anyone is interested? Will start hacking it apart later today...
Wish me luck ;)

let us know the result
thanks---------chainsaw:laugh::laugh:

Wish me luck ;)

You could get another resistor card from a scrapyard?

Nissan want £39 + VAT for a heater resistor card now. Rediculous. I'm off to the scrap yard.

Remember though, that will be one of the newer ones that wont break again! Its a common fault for the older style ones on most nissans to break

And thats not a bad price for nissan really

Really. Well I guess its worth it if it won't break again. I did ask about warranty though and was told they only warranty it if they fit it themselves. At a cost of 35 for half hours labour. I can do it in 2 mins. bloody thieving gits.

Really. Well I guess its worth it if it won't break again. I did ask about warranty though and was told they only warranty it if they fit it themselves. At a cost of 35 for half hours labour. I can do it in 2 mins. bloody thieving gits.

On the older ones, the contacts get wet and rust then the card breaks. The newer ones are better protected and have more wires around the card.

Its a common problem but Nissan just wouldnt recall them or anything

Back