Induction ideas???

Hey MSC

I can get hold of some cheap 50mm alluminium hosing as an air duct, but from what ive read you get the best performance from an almera 1.6 airbox with a cold feed to that.

So my question would be how much are the almera airboxes, with a performance filter in? Also what are the sizes of the standard inlet on a 1.0 k11 airbox in comparison to the inlet on the almera one?

Is it worth while me using the cold feed into the standard airbox if i can enlarge the inlet to 50mm if its smaller than that to start with obviously.

Any ideas or comments welcome, after all its only an idea for to regain the lost bhp from the engine over the years. O a bit of nosie wont go a miss either :p

Thanks

The standard micra air box has a 50mm ID, and the GA16 almera air box 60mm ID. I have recently done this airbox conversion and it seems to pick up a little better now. You can get the box from scrapy for not too much (maybe £10-20), and a new k&n filter is around £35 off ebay. You will also need a crankcase breather filter or another flexible hose to attach the airbox to the crankcase because the connector wont be in the same place with the almera airbox fitted. Might as well do a full service while your at it. That's the best starting point before doing any other mods.

hope these help

PICT0014-1.jpg

PICT0013-1.jpg

PICT0011-4.jpg

PICT0012-3.jpg

PICT0011-5.jpg

hey guys so whats this crankcase breather? if i change airboxes i need a new one/ a replacement. if i keep it stock airbox with a feed i dont?

What is the breather for can any one explain what it does and where its connected.
Thanks

Hi Eliot - did you have to cut any bulkhead/bodywork to fit your cold feed past your radiator? There isn't room to fit the pipe through on a facelift K11

hey guys so whats this crankcase breather? if i change airboxes i need a new one/ a replacement. if i keep it stock airbox with a feed i dont?

What is the breather for can any one explain what it does and where its connected.
Thanks

basically the crankcase (top of the engine block) needs to release fumes so the air exits through the crankcase breather pipe (top right of engine), and it can either flow back into the intake, gets filtered and reused, or passed out into the atmosphere by way of a standalone filter. If you use the stock airbox, the crankcase breather pipe will be perfectly aligned with the pipe protruding from the stock airbox so you can use the original hose to connect them. But since the almera airbox is bigger, the pipe on the airbox is offset more to the right (since its designed to be used with a different engine anyway), so you will need to fit a standalone crankcase breather filter, or a longer flexible hose to connect the crankcase breather pipe with the pipe on the airbox. I hope this makes sense. P.S. if you look closely at Eliots pictures you can see the one with an aftermarket breather filter between the engine and the airbox, the red one.

Hi Eliot - did you have to cut any bulkhead/bodywork to fit your cold feed past your radiator? There isn't room to fit the pipe through on a facelift K11

no i just squeezed it through! pipe was flexible so it just bent round, air filter was allways ice cold aswell. I used a bit of drain pipe to extend it aswell.

PICT0014-2.jpg

Back