Improve call quality?

I bought a JVC-KDBT11 head unit partly for the built in bluetooth capabilities - so I could use it as a handsfree kit.
Now I'm not expecting miracles, especially since it uses a built in microphone, but the thing isn't far from being completely useless. I can hear people on the other end fine, but all they can hear is themselves echoing and / or me speaking very faintly.
I've read reviews on this unit saying the bluetooth works very well... but I beg to differ.

Is there anything at all I could do to improve the functionality of this thing so I can have a normal conversation?

Thank a lot for any advice (Y)

P.S. The only setting I can find on the unit relating to this is microphone level, which doesn't really make a difference on 1, 2 or 3!

turn the volume down. my friend has this problem. your voice talking needs to be louder than what they can hear coming out of your speakers. i had the same problem on online gaming on my pc. i had a loose mic. people could hear themselves cuz i ahd the volume louder than my voice.

Thanks Simonh,
Definately a lot better but still relatively awful! :p I'm assuming its the best I can expect though for what it is.

My phone has anti-echo for bluetooth headsets, see if you can find a setting for that, it may help, if that fails then take the unit apart and extend the wires on the mic

Well, when they speak, it's coming out the speakers, and then the microphone is picking it up again. It's the same as using the loudspeaker on your mobile phone.

The problem is, you probably have 4 speakers in your car, which means audio is coming from all directions, so the microphone picks that up well. But because your sat to the right of the microphone, and dynamic microphones aren't that good picking up voices from more then a a foot away or so, you won't be very loud. So you either need to make the microphone closer to your face, or boost the gain on it somehow.

OK - will give it a whirl later with mic level on max and speakers turned down. (I wish I had 4 of them!)
Thanks again for the advice

Back