Imports - fuel query

MicraFish

Rollin' with Diesel and V8 Power
I don't know whether I'm being thick or not, but do I need to put Super Unleaded in the Cabriolet rather than 95 unleaded?

I've read on the internet that Japan only has 100 RON so the engines deal with that, but in this country we need to use 97 RON as it's closest.

Anyone know this at all?

Also, if anyone knows a place to salt-proof the underside of my car please give me a PM :)

you dont need to run it on high ron all the time, just time to time. the japs run on 100ron as said, our super unleaded has the highest ron. so i would use that time to time.

Why is that? Just curious - I don't really understand the whole workings of engines lol
So would you say every month or so? Maybe straight after payday I'll get some in! :grinning:

Cheeky so'n'so, moving my thread! :p

I'm not really sure what NeX does - however I thought it'd be a change to ask on here as I'm always asking him questions lol!

It is just a high octane unleaded fuel that maxemises engine power and performance, it burns cleanly as well as producing less pollution.... jap cars have there ecu's set to run on 100ron :)

but as said, it wont matter aslong as you put high ron in once every month.

I'm just concerned is all! As you can probably tell, I'm pretty paranoid about this car and don't want to 'hurt' it in anyway - hence wanting the undersealing done too! :laugh:

Shall I just fill it up with Super Unleaded once in a while then?
And how is the ECU not coughing up a fit when I put 95 unleaded in there then? Although the cleaner emissions make sense - it is coming from the most polluted country in the world for instance! :laugh:

yearh but for a car thats been running high ron for most of its life and the ecu is set to get best performance out of high ron its best to use high ron imo.

If the compression ratio is the same as the english micra's, then I'd say you could happily run it on 95 for the rest of it's life.

I wouldn't worry, high octane fuel is really for high compression engines.

I'm guessing that means 'Not Micras'? ;)

yearh but for a car thats been running high ron for most of its life and the ecu is set to get best performance out of high ron its best to use high ron imo.

Would be interesting to see if any results came from using the high ron, just to see if it makes even a diddy difference! Would be good for the car to be treated to some right?

If the compression ratio is the same as the english micra's, then I'd say you could happily run it on 95 for the rest of it's life.

I wouldn't really know - I imagine so, although I am no expert! Obviously! ;)

Filled up with super unleaded today. Didn't cost that much more than a usual tank of 95 unleaded, and it sounds daft but it certainly gives the car more oomph in the lower gears! :grinning:

if you use tesco super unleaded oe shell optimax, these both have a ron of 99 instead of the usual 97/98 super unleaded.
i personally wouldn't use normal unleaded, i don't on my jap import gt4. and like you said, it's not that much more expensive to fill up with.
if the super unleaded is 5p more a litre than 'premium', then it'll only cost £2 more to fill up with 40 litres. but if you spend £50 instore at tesco, then you'd get that £2 back with their fuel saving offer.

Yeah, I think I used the Shell stuff - we have a Shell garage down the road and that's where I topped it up.
Will use that from now on then! :D

Back