Ignition Switch problem

CMF_ChrisB

» CMF Member
Hi,

I have recently had some problems starting my micra, which I think is either to do with the ignition switch or barrel. Basically my car will only start when I turn the key very slowly, if I do it quickly it will not fire up. It has to be turned very slowly passed the on and then held in that position. Also a couple of months ago I had some problems with the battery draining itself, but this seems to have stopped now. Is this a possible sign of a faulty ignition switch or is it more likely to be to do with the ignition barrel.

THanks alot for any help

CMF_mycra

» CMF Member
unless electrical... with old fuel reg, filter and pump may take a bit of time till system reaches enough pressior to fire it up...

i usually turn to ignition on, listen to the pump till stops then i crank it up.

CMF_ChrisB

» CMF Member
I think it is electrical, I normally wait for the fuel pump to prime before starting. Basically the whole dash board goes off unless I turn it very slowly from the on to ignition. Basically it will only start if they key is turned very very slowly and a small way from on to ingnition. I used to be able to do it turning it half way but now I have to turn it a milimeter to get it to start.

CMF_ChrisB

» CMF Member
The barrel is the lock bit? I heard that will be expensive to fix since the key has a chip :( I was hoping it was the ignition switch

CMF_ChrisB

» CMF Member
Ok thanks alot for the help on that. Ill try to look it up in my haynes manual. Was worried for a second he was saying it was the lock cylinder, which would cost me too much and would have to dump the car :)

CMF_ChrisB

» CMF Member
basically if you start the car normally it wont start and the dash board lights go out - ie turn it fully. WHat you have to do is turn it just a little bit very slowly to get it to start up - like 1 mm or something. Tbh it has been getting worse over time, it used to work if you turned it half way but now it has to be turned just a fraction or it wont start up. The key turns fine itself turns fine most of the time. Thanks for all the help , I appreciate it.

Back