Idle Speed on Startup

I'm looking for some advice on what might be wrong with my K11 1.0l Shape (P: 1997) Micra - and I guessed here would be my best bet :wasntme:

I'm not sure if this is connected, but: I had a problem a few months back where now and again the car didn't start first time, but rather cough and splutter until I gave it a bit of gas, at which point it started. It would then have a rough idle until a few miles of being driven. I bought a harness from Nissan for the water temp sensor, and have only seen the problem a couple of times since.

I am now getting a different problem - and not sure if it is related. When I start the car (normally from cold), it normally runs rich with quite a high idle until it warms up. Now everytime I start the car, it catches on first time, but the idle is really low and it sounds as though it could cut out at any moment. This problem came about literally overnight, and has been like this for the last 15+ starts. When driven for a while, the idle seems to return back to normal, but then if I cut the engine and restart, I get the same struggling idle.

Any suggestions as to what this could be? Many thanks for any help :glare:

slug

it,s the waxstat at the back of the t/b that gives the fast idle, perhaps it,s seized ?

Do you mean that as in the waxstat should give the faster idle when cold, when it's operating normally, and because it may have siezed this is causing it to start with a low idle? And also would this be noticeable at any other time (i.e. driving?) - because in this case it isn't :grinning:
Thanks for the suggestion - will look into it soon.

slug

it only operates while the water is cold eh, you could check the voltage on the middle lambda wire (0.5v = normal a/f/r mixture)

Aah, I see with the waxstat now - apologies for acting like a novice (well, I am!)
Will have a look ASAP and see if it is seized. If it is, can it be fixed with a little oil or am I looking at a new TB?

Back