Ideas on basic mods on budget!

Hi all as some of you know Im 16 and still waiting to get the micra on the road. I was wondering if any1 has any thoughts on how I could go about making my own dump valve type noise! I know you can buy those rubbish ones for about £130 that electronically make the noise but i would never spend that amount of money on something like that.

My car isn't turbo'd so a normal dump valve is outa the question but I was thinking maybe a valve or piston that goes when you lift off the accelerator?

Any thoughts would be appreciated even if you think im mad!

Remember im young and its ideas like these that keep me occupied and imaginative!

hmmm, what about:

find someone that has a dump valve, record the sound it makes, put it on cd, play the cd when you want the noise.

the altimate folly ;)

wait till you get a turbo car?? or turbo your micra...tbh i dont think there is a way...people where saying that putting a dump vavle in your exhaust system, the gaeses wouldnt escape and the car would run pap and stall...or mouting it the side of the exhuast but the gases would just bypasse it! even if they got to it it wouldnt be engough presurre to move the piston and make a noise!

Be proud of the fact that your cars not a turbo! Don't see everyones obsession with having a turbo'd engine.

Go to the libary and take out a book on tuning small engines or something similar, read and then start playing!

You can get kits that release co2 from a cylinder in your boot. cost more than a turbo though.

I looked into this a while back but couldn't find a solution.

I do know a way to get the turbo spooling sound but it's a cheap and dirty way of doing it.

Im not bothered about the turbo really I was just wondering about the noise and how i could make it! Is there anyway you could attach something to the clutch so when u push it in you make the noise? Just an idea

Get yourself a push switch and put it under the clutch pedal. Connect it to a solenoid so when the button is pressed the solenoid opens and lets out a burst of air. You can get the compressed air from your spare tyre or a tank in the boot.

mpeg3 stick

Dude, record your sound on a cheap 128mb mp3 player. I think you need a mechanical, (Meccano) arm setup to press the play button. You would need to know a reasonable spl of a real dump valve and then have an amplifier and loudspeaker capable of recreating the sound. SPL( sound pressure level) would be high to overcome engine noise.
But then again, is it worth it? I think its a waste of effort. Put a pipe under the car and make it whistle like KITT, (Knightrider, don't be a Hasselhoff though, not cool eh!)

Seeing as you can't drive ya Micra just yet, why not research on other novel ways to make your motor unique?

I had a boy racer with a Dump valve take me on in my Diesel Corsa Turbo, I heard his dump valve behind me, I dropped into 3rd, booted it and left him bewildered. I had modified my boost pressure on my turbo. Basicaly a valve inserted into a pipe allows some of the boost pressure to be tapped off, keeping the turbo on for longer. I went a step further and and took the wasted air and sent it back into the air intake and gained even more power. I had a very quick car, downside is the extra torque wore the clutch out and the age of the car, she failed her MOT on suspension rot and had to be scrapped. Anyway, I wasn't even aware he wanted to race me, till I heard his dump valve, it gave him away and I reacted to it, if your dump valve is a gimmick, you might get laughed at and totally blown away. My Corsa was Turquoise colour, how girly is that?:)

Just my 2pence worth.

Mike

Well on the subject of going fast has anyone got any ideas on fairly quick and easy ways to improve the performance of my car cos its really sluggish sometimes and with 15" alloys it goes even slower! At the moment everything on it is standard except a back box i bought of ebay which gives it a great noise.

hmm strip out the interior, wont cost you a thing and reduces weight therefore improving handling and acceleration

However not incredibly practical! Sorry I should have qualified it needs to be practical as it gets used everyday and i will be driving it to college etc. I was thinking more engine mods.

There's no easy and quick solution to getting more power! but you would be looking at exhaust, cams etc but I wouldn't do it untill u have some no claims!

Fake turbo sounds never work : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0XGVBecRkE&feature=related

Id think meself lucky having a 1.3 lined up when i start driving. Had to make do with a 1.0 for years.

I thought a stripped out interior would make it more practical :) more space.

You could always take the front passenger seat out, leave the back ones in as they weigh less, then you can still get three passengers in!

Back