I want to increase boot space

I need a couple more inches tail -> backseat.

It's a security thing, I need to be able to park sometimes with equipment out of view in the boot rather than fold back seats down and then cover.

I was thinking that if I removed the back seat upright pieces and replaced them with something thin but solid, I could create more boot space and not have it look too obvious to the casual passerby by covering it with very thin foam and grey upholstery, then throw a blanket over it like say people with dogs use.

It wouldn't need to fold down and I never drive it with rear seat passengers.

Any ideas how to do it?

I would go with removing the rear seats and put 2 x 90 degree hinges about an inch below each rear window so you could lay a piece of MDF on top and screw it on. If you only need a couple of inches you could put a board vertically halfway and put speakers in between.

Edit: Like the attachment.

Attachments

• Boot MDF.JPG
    Boot MDF.JPG
    60.9 KB · Views: 217
Thanks for the useful suggestion and sketch pjg1979,
what thickness mdf would you go for? I've not used it before.

Van conversion?
Thanks I had considered that but I don't want anything permanent or irreversible to change the vehicle classification, plus I want it to still look like an ordinary car with an empty back seat from outside and bung everything back as it was for MOT.

I'm not intending using it for business of goods so it is still private and pleasure but what concerns me is if I got pulled over for some reason could a replacement mdf rear to the seat be classed as illegal or a change of classification even if not carrying back passengers?

Back