smooth boot

CMF_sonny peacey

» CMF Member
ok basically i have seen a few micra's with smooth boots and they look awsome, and because i have no real feature to my car i really want to do this.

i need to know is it a 'big' job, can it be done by someone with no experiense, what do i need!!!

the 3 ways ive been told so far is:

1.big piece of sheet metal covering the whole boot (bottom of window down)
2.filler the whole and smooth it with sand paper etc.
3.small piece of sheet metal welded over the hole an made flush.

wats the easyest??

thanks guys

CMF_Micra Nut

» CMF Member
sonny peacey WROTE:

<BR><BR>1.big piece of sheet metal covering the whole boot (bottom of window down)<BR>2.filler the whole and smooth it with sand paper etc.<BR>3.small piece of sheet metal welded over the hole an made flush.<BR><BR>wats the easyest??<BR><BR>thanks guys

No big sheet covering the whole boot. Your just filling where the numperplate and handle was. then fill the wiper and lock.

CMF_stoo

» CMF Member
you'll need 4 pieces of sheet metal, a mig welder, some fibreglass and some filler.

remove everything from the tailgate area, locks, wiper, wiper motor, badge, number plate light holder etc...

cut 2 small pieces of metal to sit behind where the wiper and badge were, and trim one nicely to sit in the recess the lock left.

then tack weld each in place with 2 or 3 welds, leave to cool, then weld each alternatively all the way around. remember not to weld to much at a time or the boot may warp with the heat.

you then need to make a template for the large number plate recess, use cardboard to do this then cut the metal to the right shape. then weld it in the same way.

grind the welds so theyre pretty flush with the boot and skim the 3 small holes with fibreglass. sand back with 80 grit and you should just need a couple more skims of filler and the 3 smaller holes will be done.

do the same with the number plate recess, it will take longer and more skims, as its a large area, maybe use a number plate to skim with?

hope that helps.

Back