I can't help it...

Retepetsir

King of Subsonic
I can't be without bass any longer :(

So much so that I'm going for cheap and cheerful and have spent £48 on 2 brand new 12" JBL GT4 subwoofers....and will put a nice 800wrms up their ass :blush:

Time to design and build a dirty ported streetbass box from marine ply.....then when I need a bass fix I just plonk it in my boot :laugh: .

I'm trying to save money this year, but £48 isnt too bad for 2 new decent subs :)

DSC01125s.jpg

Oops :laugh:

nice! very good price for those two subs!!!

your not worried about carrying "extra weight" then bud?

good luck with the custom install

Yep I am....! I used to have a pretty decent install for a couple of years, and really do miss the bass.

I'm going to build an easily removable subwoofer box so when I need my bass fix I just pop the box in the boot and away I go!

Hmmm...

Cheers.

Well the last install ran into the £k's....this is going to be ultra-budget but hopefully still sound good!

what did you do with your old install mate? I remember you spending ages on that!

I've got one of those sat in my room, with my amp / stuff because of the amp problems i've put off installing my sub for the time being.

Time to rethink (the amp is too powerful so creates humming :( )

i did mine on a budget... igot a £9 amp and a £10 sub and £4 wiring kit.. sounds good enough for me.. im sure you wont have much of a car left if you get these singing at full blast LOL

what did you do with your old install mate? I remember you spending ages on that!

Sold it to generate some £££.....Mike has my DLS components, then other people on TA got my JL subwoofer (sold for £100), covers, wiring, etc...

I've still got the large 5-channel amp left and a new wiring kit, so spending £60 on the new subs and wood for the box should get it sorted!

Yes. Never got to the bottom of it.

I need another headunit to double check it's not leaking.

That's all that's left :(

Doh thats not good :(

Righty, my subwoofer box design is now complete, with a port tuning frequency of 32Hz, hurrah! My boots going to be full of marine ply.....oops!

JBLGT4Box_2Medium-1.jpg

:)

I've decided to change the box design and go with one large 6" aeroport and a sloped back...

JBLGT4Box_3_AeroMedium.jpg

Subs arrived this morning :)

Finisheddddd....

Well, not quite. The birch ply has arrived, the aeroport is arriving on Monday and my amp is all ready to fit on the box like so....

It should look great. I just don't have the time to build it at the moment :glare:

JBLGT4Box_4_AeroMedium.jpg

This is more a thread for my own records ;), but my Aeroport for the sub box has just arrived, is flipping huge! 6" of port width with a 9.5" flare at the top!

Should be fun :)

Aeroport.jpg

nice mate, what capacity is the box?

heard mixed reports about strapping the amp to the box, like damage through excess vibration etc...

I'm sure I replied to this thread?! Odd!

Box will be 4.8cuft after port and sub displacement, the JBL's like anything from 2-2.5cuft each, so it should be about ideal.

It'll be tuned to 30Hz as I want this box to drop!

My amp should be fine, lots of the SPL guys do it, the only amp which has problems is the Powerbass 3000D as the capacitors are not secured with hot glue = caps falling off with big bass!!!

Unfortunately I won't have time to build this box for quite a while yet, need to finish uni first :(

Kind of Olly, but its also down to vibration. The Powerbass amps had structural problems, often resulting in capacitors dropping off/breaking off of the main amp pcb.

Not good!

Did this get finished Pete, never looked in your boot at Brighton :p

Got the kit all sitting here but I'm waiting until my degree is finished (in exactly 1 month) before I start working on the install. Design, etc is all sorted though, all I need to do now is build it! I'll be at JAE with it, and 2000wrms :love:

Ceirwan, there is a free box design program called WinISD you can download, although I personally use Bass Box Pro 6.

Just ordered some new components, a reel of quality speaker cable, a second battery (split charge system) and lots of sound deadening. I'm looking forward to this!

Hopefully I'll surprise a few people at JAE ;) :)

JBLGT4Box.jpg

memphisbelle.jpg

If I blow a GT4 I'm not so bothered, they are a bargain at only £24 each :)

Part of this thread got wiped with the hack, including a pic of the battery you used. What type was it and would you reccomend?

Bloody Hell, looking forward to the finished product. You should do a little video afterwards like they did in Vroom Vroom TV program and see how far you can go, lol.

PS I will expect some finished pictures in you Blog, lol.

Back