How to Set the Clock Spring / Steering Angle Sensor / Squib Manually

Hi, I need advice to manually set my steering angle clock spring without a machine. I found my ribbon cable was damaged which gave predictable and repeatable ABS warning light only on full lock to the right and then the steering wheel buttons and horn stopped working. I bought another squib off eBay (same part number). To fit it I need to centre it. It's a Nissan Micra 1.2 manual Petrol 2011 UK.

With wheels pointing straight ahead, my steering wheel turns one and three quarter full turns from the centre to left full lock and the same from the centre to right full lock.

The clock spring turns 2.5 full turns to the left and 3.5 to the right. The round white lobe on it locks into the back of the steering wheel and needs to start and finish in top dead centre. So there's no obvious middle, it's either two or three turns either side. unless otherwise advised, I'll be going with 2.5 turns to the left and 3.5 to the right. Has anyone tackled this who can advise? Thank you.

Attachments

• k13 squib pic.PNG
    k13 squib pic.PNG
    386 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
Hi, I need advice to manually set my steering angle clock spring without a machine. I found my ribbon cable was damaged which gave predictable and repeatable ABS warning light only on full lock to the right and then the steering wheel buttons and horn stopped working. I bought another squib off eBay (same part number). To fit it I need to centre it. It's a Nissan Micra 1.2 manual Petrol 2011 UK.

With wheels pointing straight ahead, my steering wheel turns one and three quarter full turns from the centre to left full lock and the same from the centre to right full lock.

The clock spring turns 2.5 full turns to the left and 3.5 to the right. The round white lobe on it locks into the back of the steering wheel and needs to start and finish in top dead centre. So there's no obvious middle, it's either two or three turns either side. unless otherwise advised, I'll be going with 2.5 turns to the left and 3.5 to the right. Has anyone tackled this who can advise? Thank you.

Hi, I manually set the clock spring centre to 2.5 turns to the left and 3.5 to the right and it appears to have worked. All steering wheel buttons are working, the horn is working and the ABS error no longer appears.

The only thing I needed to do after fitting it was to ask the Airbag system to self test and reset. This was because I had removed and refitted the steering wheel airbag with days in between where I had reconnected the battery to move the car around. No other programming was required.

Back