How to improve braking on the K10?

pietro said:
Any simple upgrades for the front?

Thanks

larger master cylinder from another car.
K11 can use a P10 master cylinder for example, 99% sure it will fit and see good improvments so i would assume that the same could be done for a K10 unless the breaking system is drastically different.

You can get vented brakes for the K10, and now i believe you can also get grooved & drilled too. Mine will be fitted tonight!

Arnold said:
You can get vented brakes for the K10, and now i believe you can also get grooved & drilled too. Mine will be fitted tonight!

Wont make it bite any harder, just help with brake fade. Bigger pots and more of them!!

Will the sunny or bluebird calipers fit?

Mulbers said:
Wont make it bite any harder, just help with brake fade.

Still an improvement, and also they're march k11 calipers so may even be able to get k11 or alternative disks fitted now

Arnold said:
Still an improvement, and also they're march k11 calipers so may even be able to get k11 or alternative disks fitted now

It is yes, im looking for something that will stop it dead. You have k11 calipers on yours??

Mulbers said:
It is yes, im looking for something that will stop it dead. You have k11 calipers on yours??

March ones yeah - or will have! They're not the same as normal k11 ones i dont think. I'm not sure if these brakes will do either once i've got the new engine fitted, but im hoping the calipers will be useful for uprated k11, pulsar, etc brakes!

ah, smart. Let me know how they are. What engine are you getting? did you buy the one from stroud of the bay?

We going to race at Santa Pod this year or what?

Mulbers said:
ah, smart. Let me know how they are. What engine are you getting? did you buy the one from stroud of the bay?

We going to race at Santa Pod this year or what?

Not this year ;) The car has alot of work coming up! And yeah,i'l let the forums know what the brakes are like. Even if they're no different, they'l still look better!

Engine i bought on the MSC! 1.3 K11 and a few uprated bits being thrown in it :)

Cool, lots and lots of work then. Cant belive your going to the dark side of K11's. Il still whoop ya.

Keep us updated then.

Mulbers said:
Bring it on. I do recall you wimping out last time and unless you turbo that badboy you aint gunna win.

I do wish i had gone up against you now! despite having a very heavy stereo & standard exhaust, as the results would have been interesting regardless of the outcome. Ah well!!

Anyway, this thread's going off topic.

Arnold said:
I do wish i had gone up against you now! despite having a very heavy stereo & standard exhaust, as the results would have been interesting regardless of the outcome. Ah well!!

Anyway, this thread's going off topic.

I took mine out, you could have done the same. That exhaust would have little or no difference. webber may have, doubt it though. Nevermind. next year it is then!

Yes it is.

Lol, the stereo's held down by about 30 screws. There's a false floor in there you know, not just some sub in a box thrown in the back

Anyway, the vented brakes are on and OMG!! what a difference!!! They're totally amazing (brembo disks btw), along with Apec pads. Aswell as performing better than my other ones (yes there is a noticable difference), they look amazing too!

2.vented_8x6_arnold.jpg

1.vented_8x6_arnold2.jpg

I highly recommend the upgrade to anyone if you can get the parts!

Cheers speedle for fitting them!

:D no worries my man had thoose damn calipers sitting around for so lond but they went on nice and easy and are working a treat :D god bless them clever japs

i remember putting vented disc on my k10 and for thoose who say all is does is reduce brake fade (which i does dramtically) the stopping distance is improved as is the general braking, replacing 15 year old calipers with new ones will always improve the braking! if you havnt done it dont make assumptions ;)

enjoy rimmer :D

Arnold said:
Lol, the stereo's held down by about 30 screws. There's a false floor in there you know, not just some sub in a box thrown in the back

Now now, i did know that but no need to get #####ie. Il still whoop ya. Brakes are no good down the strip!!! ha ha

Top notch on the brakes though. I changed mine tonight as well. Just standard ones. They were nakered. Going to get a few different calipers from the scrappy over the weekend and have a play. See what fits and so on.

Speedle said:
if you havnt done it dont make assumptions ;)/quote]

Well now i know for the future.

Where can I get brembo vented discs from please (how much)?

Also are the front discs the same as a nissan sunny? What about calipers?

I also want some ferodo ds2500, are these available and where can I get these online?

Thanks all

Skyline Calipers fit(elliots type), but the disks dont... im sure you could use 100nx disks tho, they have the same depth/space and are almost the same size.

I was trying all the combos in the scrapyard today.

my march k11 has k10 calipers. So i went for the black diamond drilled and cross vented discs and thier pads.

Braking has improved but still is lame!! car cannot stop at high speeds in a safe enough distance after comparing to other cars i have driven. I will be going for a rear brake disc conversion very soon!

I am wrong in saying K11 brakes fit the K10?

you need to swop over the hubs along with the k11 discs and calipers? sure it was howard who told me, then pulsar gti-r brakes can go on the front.

K10 standard brakes are fine as long as they are in good condition, i had vented discs on one of my K10's and they were no different to standard brakes,

Mulbers said:
Now now, i did know that but no need to get #####ie. Il still whoop ya. Brakes are no good down the strip!!! ha ha

Well if you did, fair play! At the end of the day, im just glad to see another high power K10 in the club. There's not that many with engine work done, and i'l be interested to see the results of your work.

Good luck getting brakes to fit, let us know if you have any success!

LOL Paul, nice pads!! Did you notice they werent working when sparks were shooting past your window? hehe.

Pietro, im not sure where you can get bremdo disks from. I got mine off Kev about two years ago and they've been sitting in my shed ever since! If i see any tho, i'l give you a shout.

I forgot the brakes had been changed - when driving on the motorway yesterday, i went to gradually brake and nearly got sliced in two by my seatbelt! There is a huge improvement - Maybe my old ones were just below standard quality, but i doubt it

Arnold said:
Well if you did, fair play! At the end of the day, im just glad to see another high power K10 in the club. There's not that many with engine work done, and i'l be interested to see the results of your work.

You told me at Santa Pod about the stereo and things.

I really do want to see how the two will compare, what things have be done to it? Im looking to get the exhuast, carb and a few other things(not giving too much away however.) for the end of the year.

i had a look at a Celica hub and some others today, i think im just gunna collect a few and play about. I managed to turn my disks red then went a lovely bluey/purple colour, Woops. They are crap brakes, need to sort it.

Are you going for more of a performance car now or just a bit of an upgrade?

Its performance, and its going to be mental! Will keep the club posted of development as they happen.

Arnold said:
Its performance, and its going to be mental! Will keep the club posted of development as they happen.

Fair play, you going to try and keep me on me toes then?!

What sort of power are you looking at?

Mark said:
I am wrong in saying K11 brakes fit the K10?

you need to swop over the hubs along with the k11 discs and calipers? sure it was howard who told me, then pulsar gti-r brakes can go on the front.

K10 standard brakes are fine as long as they are in good condition, i had vented discs on one of my K10's and they were no different to standard brakes,

euro spec k11 brakes will not fit the k10 without changing the hubs like marks said. JDM march k11 calipers are a direct fit to the k10. i found the calipers on a JDM march with a view to fitting them to the k10 but sold them to rimmer ;)

they are the smae brakes used on the figaro and they are definatly better than standard k10 brakes

Skyline Calipers fit(elliots type)?

Please tell me more! Which skyline? Are they the rear brakes on the skyline?

So could I use skyline calipers with vented brembos and uprated pads?

I need more info :)

Mulbers said:
What sort of power are you looking at?

Well i'd like to say im hoping to push the chassis to its limits! but that depends how much money i throw at this. Anyway, once developments have been made, they'l appear on here.

Arnold said:
Well i'd like to say im hoping to push the chassis to its limits! but that depends how much money i throw at this. Anyway, once developments have been made, they'l appear on here.

Ha ha. You making the mods the the Super S? or the L?

I really want to take it out on a track at somepoint, would lke to see how it handles at its limits, however low they may be.

it'l be the L that has the work done. Its come along way since i first bought it!

Some pretty interesting stuff with the brake modding and those vented ones look well nice...

I have to say that most peoples oppinion of "good brakes" and "bad brakes" is what they are feeling through their brain and body as "mechnical advantage" (how much effort on the brake pedal compared with the bite on the breaks) combined with grip (tyres on the road).

Even with the standard brakes it's pretty easy to lock all 4 wheels dead. All you need to do is take your heal off the floor and bring the thigh muscle into play abit more.

If the wheels lock, then the breaks couldn't be better?

In this case, I would say that stopping distance will be more significantly reduced by concentrating on improving the grip between the road and the tyres.

If you lock all four wheels (well usually the front two only), then it could be the combination of a heavy right foot and poor tyres. Ideally, you want to stop as quick as possible without sliding. Slamming the brakes on isnt safe, but a firm push of the pedal should slow you down rapidly!

I havent firmly tested the brakes as yet, but in combination with my toyo's, i feel the emergency stop will be alot better!

...I didn't mean to condone loss of control (skidding) I just meant that if the wheels "can" be locked then a brake upgrade aint necessary...better to spend it on tyres/whels/suspension to improve stopping distance.

Hope I didnt give the wrong impression (sorry chaps)

Arnold said:
i feel the emergency stop will be alot better!

(hopefully avoid the need for one altogether....)

some really interesting stuff here, skyline or gti-r brakes definately interested on how this can be done, can someone do a guide or explain a little clearer how this can be done? are figaro brakes a large improvement?

The figaro brakes are meant to deal with 75bhp as standard, (i think), so yeah, they're obviously an uprated part & an improvement over k10 brakes.

SammoHung said:
...I didn't mean to condone loss of control (skidding) I just meant that if the wheels "can" be locked then a brake upgrade aint necessary...better to spend it on tyres/whels/suspension to improve stopping distance.

Hope I didnt give the wrong impression (sorry chaps)

(hopefully avoid the need for one altogether....)

no thats totally wrong. Yeah sure, i could my front wheels by stamping on the pedal, but thats not going to help with brake fade. If i were hammereing the car through some corners on a track, say 80mph down to 30mph it would only be 2 or 3 corners before my brakes became too hot and lost their effictiveness.

Ah, now i get the picture.

I didn't consider that sort of thing at all..I was thinking more of normal road use scenarios.

Nice one Ian...Cheers! ('feels good learning new stuff...especially after a few beers).

Back