How must rust is an MOT failure? K11

Afternoon everyone...

The G/F has an Lreg K11, its due for its mot next month. I have noticed that on the drivers side and the back quarter there is some rust. It is under the car on the bit of rear quarter that goes under the car (if that makes sense), It is a small hole but is crumbly... Looks like someone may have put the jack on it. Will this be an mot failure, as i dont thing its on the physical chasis of the car just that body panel.

Also the car still has its original exhaust :slm: on the backbox the outer metal has corroded off (leaving another metal surface underneath) but the exhaust is fine and does not blow etc. Will this pass ok?

Sorry about all the Q's for a friday,

Chris.

Stick a photo up for us to see, but chances are, a small hole would get a lot bigger if you were to poke it with a screw driver. The MOT tester will do this and it'll go straight through - and fail.

I will get a pic up later, whats the easiest way for going about fixing it? would filling it with filler do just to get it through the mot?

No. If it's the sills it will need to be welded, or the sill needs chopping out and replacing (best method IMHO, but quite expensive.) If one is going the chances are the other one is too, so it'd be worth checking that. Also the front crossmember may also be rusting

It won't cost nmore than £40 to weld up a small hole if thats the only failure, no point bodging it plus, yeah it will more than likely fail.

I'm in the same position, however mine's luckily got MOT till January.

How much is the best price I'd be looking at to get the underneath welded, as I have a hole in just under my driver's door, it's not too pleasant, it just dropped out one day when I patted the car on the side.. and this chunk fell out lol.

=\

Back