How much heat wrap???

chies yur man for this m8,,,hes mjust dun his,and he told me exactly how much he used on it but i cant remember.ill av a quik look in my msn convos

yup 10m,(ish) this includes the 4 pipes- generous bit round ware they join- the 2 pipes (at same time) all way to the 2 clamps for the y piece :p

i used bout 12 but i got 15 jus incase, got the stainless 1`s off abay, as they wont rust and look cruddy
ill post pics if you want

Ok, so grounding our engines with some 4guage wire would be good for the engine by.....

Sorry if that sounds cheeky, its not meant to be, i just want to know if its worth doing and what the benifits are!

Also whats the point in heat wrap? I would have thought that its better to leave it bare to let the heat escape...

Heat wrap stops the engine bay getting hot, which can be a problem with respect to warming the intake charge and roasting components near to the exhaust. It's claimed that it improves exhaust gas movement by keeping the gases hot (less dense, etc.), but I have never seen any before/after dyno tests with it, so take that with a pinch of salt.

It also tends to increase corrosion of the wrapped parts, especially replacement welded tube manifolds. The increased heat (which is a lot) and water retention can have drastic effects.

As for grounding the engine, I don't see how it can help. It already has a great big earth strap for the starter, and all the ECU sensors, solenoids, and injectors have their own dedicated return.

The grounding kits...........on 'some' tests with big power cars (i.e. nearer 1000bhp) they have actually made a difference, but I have no idea why and how they have done this.

I'm not sure the same effect would be evident on a micra though.

However, if you installing some aftermarket audio equipment, its a good idea to do the 'big 3' as a matter of course. Upgrading the battery to chassis, alternator to battery and engine to chassis connections. I know on the K11 the alternator feed is particularly small.

Retepetsir said:
However, if you installing some aftermarket audio equipment, its a good idea to do the 'big 3' as a matter of course. Upgrading the battery to chassis, alternator to battery and engine to chassis connections. I know on the K11 the alternator feed is particularly small.

It's the same on most cars, especially the alternator cable. Try jumpstarting a car when both cars have faulty batteries, and the alternator wire on a K10 gets really, really hot.

It looks messy!! Kind of shows I think that people will believe anything.

cheers Ed didnt buy it for performance, my bay was looking a bit bland so i put it on for a bit colour

Sorry if I sounded rude. Electronics etc is one of my core interests and it really bugs me to see things sold for purposes they will never achieve.

Back