How import engines in UK

Greetings micraguys!
Im here for asking some information about how the import works in your country, maybe some of you bought an engine from japan.

I have a contact with a large japanese engines exporter, and im about to start an online shop for japan engines.
The problem is my country, italy, ill explain:

I imported an sr20det for trying, i paid 270£ the shipment from japan to italy (that is good) the 22% of italian custom taxes (even if is used and not new) and then they want a bloody 550£ ONLY for unloading the engine from the ship, and 100£ for move it in a storage.
Even a lawyer told me that is legal fraud that occur in my country.

270£ Japan to Italy
650£ Shipyard to 30km away storage + taxes

So im thinking to make me arrive the engines in another EU country.

How it works in England ?
When the engine arrive, what type of taxes i need to pay ?

Thanks in advance

Hi, if you wanted to import the engines into the UK, you would currently have to pay VAT at 20% and Import Duty currently at 2.7% (but this is a variable amount) based on the invoice value of the engine, plus approx £100.00 Terminal Handling, £50.00 Customs Clearance then the cost of trucking the Engine to you in Italy.

The final Handling charges would depend on the Shipping Line you used to move the engines from Japan to the UK, as different Lines charge differing rates.

From a cost saving point of view, it would be cheaper to import several engines at the same time, rather than bringing them over one at a time.

If you want any more info, please contact me at work [email protected] and I'll get someone in our Seafreight Department to assist you.

Thanks, Robbie

Back