How fast can you go 'relatively safe' with k10 1.0?

S

schatzi

Take a look at that video for a moment (it not my micra):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEfs9-V4eZM&NR

The speedo shows about 165km/h (~100mph). So there can be only two things: a)downhill:laugh: b)wind from the back.
The manual for my micra (1991,1.0,40kW,111.000km,5 gears) says that it's top speed is 140km/h (~87mph). Last week I was doing it about 155km/h (~96mph) downhill on the freeway but I took of my foot from the pedal because I became afraid that the engine would explode or something.:laugh: And I had a feeling that probably I could as fast as the micra on this video.

My questions:
1. How many RPM's has got the 1.0 k10 in 5th gear at 140km/h?
2. How many RPM's can take this engine(max. RPM under load)? (before something goes wrong :alien: )
3. What's the official speed record for a stock micra like mine (downhill+wind:blush:)?

Thank you!

2. How many RPM's can take this engine(max. RPM under load)? (before something goes wrong )

Red line on the 1.2 is at 6000 rpm I think.

I went past that with my 1.0 and it didnt blow up or anything. Didnt do it any good tho :p

Try a search in the K10 section

RPM wise your fine. The only thing to watch is if its burning oil, they dont hold much so they can loose it pretty quick at high speeds.

In a safety point of view, K10's arent safe full stop lol. With regards to the engine & speed, the dials are not accurate, especially with wheel modifications so get a GPS speedo to confirm. Its easy to get any standard 1.0 to 90, you can do 90 in 4th. Also the ideal RPM on a 1.2 is 5400, not 6000. Thats for the 1.0

Thread moved to K10

By the way schatzi, talking about speeding on public roads is not allowed on the MSC! Im leaving this open as an admin has already posted in this thread.

Arnold;181007 Also the ideal RPM on a 1.2 is 5400 said:
The ideal RPM? Redline is 6k on the 1.2, and it does go further but there is no power.

I'd say the safety problem in a K10 isn't how fast your going, it's how quickly you stop.

The ideal RPM? Redline is 6k on the 1.2, and it does go further but there is no power.

I'd say the safety problem in a K10 isn't how fast your going, it's how quickly you stop.

By ideal Alan means the revs at which you get the most horsepower...

By redline means the revs at which Nissan meant for you to change gear :p

I was referring to power, besides, why does the ma10 and ma12 have the same redline as the ma12 is weaker!

By the way schatzi, talking about speeding on public roads is not allowed on the MSC! Im leaving this open as an admin has already posted in this thread.

Sorry mate I forgot that. I'm not from the UK. I from Slovenia and was on the way to my uncle to München (Germany), so from technical point of view as far as I know going more than 130km/h on some parts of German freeways... That's also the reason my 'test' took place.:down:

I guessed such speeds were carried out on the Autobahn and not UK Motorways.

I think Ed is about right, just be mindfull about oil being burnt, the K10 engine can take sustained hi-revving (take the MA12 plane for instance), not as well as the K11 CG engine but still pretty well.

There are more pressing factors relating to K10's going quickly, poor aerodynamics,tiny little wheels, a short wheelbase all leading to an unstable car as well as a distinct lack of safety devices, not my idea of fun.

Yes Pete, I 100% agree with you.
The thing is my micra will probably go to the junkyard in couple of months (when the registration expires)or so and I was just curious about it's final potentials:grinning:
It served well for the past 15-16 years at our family. And sure it will in the remaining part of 2007. I'm going to post some pictures of it next time when I wash it.:grinning:

Agree with pete, some other points however.

Max power on the 1.0 is 6000 rpm
Max power on the 1.2 is 5600 rpm

Im talking SOLELY on engine longevity, the engine alone is fine, its entirely another matter weather the whole idea is safe, but that was not the question of the OP.

I am remoing some of the posts that blur the subject.

Ed

nigher speeds in the k10 are a bit scary but i find in mine after about 85 it smooths out and the vibrations cut down.

yes the max power is at 5600rpm but to get the higher speeds u need to go past that in the top gear

there capable of alot but very restricted as standard

so i got my k10 ma12 to 150km/h (no it was not illegal :wasntme: ) and needless to say the car's aerodynamics are poo. The only reason I went these speeds was a)i was going downhill on a 4-lane empty highway b)i just got my struts replaced and c)i got a wheel balance .... so in conclusion, after getting the struts replaced and a wheel balance, the only thing I had to worry about was the wind picking the car up and throwing it hehe..

Considering we don't know the local bye-laws of the countries in question it's very hard for the moderating team to decide who might have been breaking the law.

You know yourself what is safe, and what isn't safe. There are so many factors to consider.

Out of all the K10's i've had, the highest top speed has been achieved on a 4 speed MA10, and the lowest on a 5 speed MA12. But that doesn't mean anything though.

my top speed with my micra k10 LX was just like on the videoclip :)
for the 1-st and last time I'll drive like that .. it's too dangerous !:eek:

Back