how easy?

i kno this question probably already been asked but im getin a bit board of my 1.0 k11 BUT do not have the time money or knowledge to do a 1.6 conversion. anyway i was wondering if i could get a 1.3 is that a straight out wiv my 1.0 and straight in with the 1.3? i would love a 1.6 conversion but have very little knowledge on the process and need my car as its my everyday drive..

i thank you all in advance for any help or information you help me with

scottish21 (Y)

Yep, as far as I'm aware they drop straight in. All engine mounts, cables, pipes, and connectors link straight up. Can even use the 1.0l gearbox as well, as far as I know

How long can it actually take to swap the engines? I was thinking of doing this myself as well, but wondered how many mounts there are and how long it would take

Well your good to go on a 1995. Takes me 4hrs easy, takes frank about 1 1/2 hrs as he leaves gearbox/shafts in place therefore no wheels off or gear linkage or drain gear oil and only 1 bolt at rear mount. He also has no front mount :)

How long can it actually take to swap the engines? I was thinking of doing this myself as well, but wondered how many mounts there are and how long it would take

Depends how good you are what equipment you have! With an engine lift I reckon I'd get it swapped in around 2 hours, I can get the sr20 out of my s14 in 30 mins so should be fairly easy

Depends how good you are what equipment you have! With an engine lift I reckon I'd get it swapped in around 2 hours, I can get the sr20 out of my s14 in 30 mins so should be fairly easy

I don't have an engine lift unfortunately, just the usual jacks, axle stands, toolkits, etc. So I think I'd have to draft in help. But I have sourced a 1.3 engine (40,000 miles) from a car that's being crushed, for £100 - comes with a wraparound spoiler, driver side front wing, and door mirrors that are colour matched to my car. A bargain I think (Y)

I don't have an engine lift unfortunately, just the usual jacks, axle stands, toolkits, etc. So I think I'd have to draft in help. But I have sourced a 1.3 engine (40,000 miles) from a car that's being crushed, for £100 - comes with a wraparound spoiler, driver side front wing, and door mirrors that are colour matched to my car. A bargain I think (Y)

Never seen an engine with a spoiler lol
Yeah that's a good price providing it's not seized! Engine lifts are about £20 to hire for a weekend or something either that or buy one on eBay then hire it out to people

No need for an engine lift. Im skinny built and can lift the engine out over the front bumper although i prefer to remove the bumper incase anything happens to it lol

My equipment is a trolley jack, standard jack and basic toolkit/spanners. Torque wrenches are required for fly/clutch swap unless you get away with going as tight as you can??? (not something id risk though)

Or i used to use a length of 3x2 cls and 2 ratchet straps. Remove the bonnet and strap the wood to the engine, 2 people can lift it in though and you can bolt the gearbox in this way to so its easier :)

No need for an engine lift. Im skinny built and can lift the engine out over the front bumper although i prefer to remove the bumper incase anything happens to it lol

My equipment is a trolley jack, standard jack and basic toolkit/spanners. Torque wrenches are required for fly/clutch swap unless you get away with going as tight as you can???

Oh yeah don't get me wrong it's not needed I've carried my Ma engine all over the place but it's still much easier with a hoist! as me an Sr20bud found when we carried my old cg to his van!

Never seen an engine with a spoiler lol
Yeah that's a good price providing it's not seized! Engine lifts are about £20 to hire for a weekend or something either that or buy one on eBay then hire it out to people

You know what I mean :laugh:. He says it's fine, but I can't turn it over to find out because there's no fuel pump, ignition barrel, or manifold :glare:. But he's a good mate, so I do trust him. I'll probably just ed up borrowing one from my old work, now that everyone who hates me there has left for other jobs :grinning:.

My equipment is a trolley jack, standard jack and basic toolkit/spanners. Torque wrenches are required for fly/clutch swap unless you get away with going as tight as you can??? (not something id risk though)

I'd rather use an engine lift, much safer that way, and means I don't have to take my bumper off because I can see there's a lot of space. I have a Snap On torque wrench, so that's all good, olong with axle stands and a 4 tonne jack (Y).

Can you leave the gearbox in place when you swap, or does it all have to come out?

You know what I mean :laugh:. He says it's fine, but I can't turn it over to find out because there's no fuel pump, ignition barrel, or manifold :glare:. But he's a good mate, so I do trust him. I'll probably just ed up borrowing one from my old work, now that everyone who hates me there has left for other jobs :grinning:.

I'd rather use an engine lift, much safer that way, and means I don't have to take my bumper off because I can see there's a lot of space. I have a Snap On torque wrench, so that's all good, olong with axle stands and a 4 tonne jack (Y).

Can you leave the gearbox in place when you swap, or does it all have to come out?

Use said torque wrench on bottom pulley and crank the engine over :)

Providing it's the correct box leave it in

You may need to remove the bonnet using certain hoists I've a big dint in my s14 bonnet because I didn't pay attention lol

Use said torque wrench on bottom pulley and crank the engine over :)

Providing it's the correct box leave it in

You may need to remove the bonnet using certain hoists I've a big dint in my s14 bonnet because I didn't pay attention lol

Aha (Y). I shall have a try when I'm next down his way :grinning:. And it's a facelift Si, so I'm assuming here that the box is the same as mine? And I definitely don't want to have to get a new bonnet as well :laugh:

Back