How do you wire up spot lamp/foglights using a relay?

little-ls

Ex. Club Member
i was watching wheeler dealers and on one of their episode they had a range rover, they had wired up some spot lights using a relay?
i know i would need a relay and wiring but has anyone got a diagram and also would any relay work? fwn

My foha micra had a relay for its fogs, it was well rotten & busted so i ditched it and piped them up to the full beam on the headlights. The relay had 4 wires conneted to it.
One was an earth to body.
One was spliced into the full beam wire on the drivers side headlamp.
One was a direct live to the battery.
The forth one connected to the + on the fogs.

So how it worked was;
When full beam was turned on the relay detected the power going to the headlamp and flipped a switch inside itself to connect the + wires on the fogs to the direct live from the battery, making them light up without drawing current from the headlamp circuit.

Hope that helps boyo (Y)

Well yeah, it's designed to do that. They wouldn't use just one if it couldn't do the job, and it feeds the fogs with a direct live, they can suck as much power as they want through that baby it won't hurt anything. (Y)

Usually each lamp takes about 5 amps each @ 12v or when the vehicle is running around 4 amps. Most relays are rated at 30 Amps which is sufficient.

Back