Will fitting a new starter button work OK with the original starter knob, or could it cause problems

Hi, my 2003 Micra SE runs fine most of the time, but every so often the immobilizer doesn't turn off and I'm unable to start the car.

I've read that this could be down to interference. But I have found that disconnecting and then reconnecting the battery seems to sort it out. Also If I leave it for a while and try again it will start OK (must pick up the key fob signal).

What I want to know is if I wire up a new momentary start switch, with it's own separate wiring, with one going to the battery (with an in line fuse) and the other one to the small wire on the starter. would this work OK or could it cause problems.

I would only use it in case of the immobilizer not picking the key fob signal up. I've read other people saying that when they have had the same problem, their car will start with a bump, so I'd think an extra switch would solve the problem and save me from having to set the radio code and the computer up each time.

My main concern is, if I left the original starter wire going to the small starter terminal, when I turn the new starter button on, could it damage the relay on the original wire or anything by sending power up the original wire.

Would my new starter button only work well If I disconnected the original starter wire?

I've added a small diagram I've drawn up...

Attachments

• new starter switch3.jpg
    new starter switch3.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 838
OP
OP
N
A youtube video they had a similar problem and after posting the video, in the comments he eventually fixed it by putting in a push button start button. He bypassed the relay/fuse box which on his vehicle he believed was playing up (and would have been to costly to replace and have it reprogramed).

My igniition works most of the time, it's just now and again that the start motor won't start. By disconnecting the battery this resets the nissan nats system and it will start OK again.

I want to wire up a completely seperate start button to the starter motor and be able to use the origanal ignition start also. Am just worried that leaving the original start wires in place may cause problems

here is what the youtube mechanic wrote:

'we ended installing push button start button wired into ignition feed and bypassed the fancy fuse box by cutting and bridging the white wire (that comes from ignition switch crank position) to the red wire that goes to starter motor, hope that helps I think the root problem is ignition barrel but it's not cost effective to replace because Nissan have to programme it in.'

Here is the video: