how do u wire a ameter

fox1983

Deactivated Account
ok coz of the omount of ice i got i have an ameter and volt meter to fit the volt meter im ok with that just goes into a 12v sorce but how do u wire the ameter in

If it is one of the direct connection old-style analog gauges, it's a pain in the arse fitting one. You've got to run the full current through the ammeter, which means thick cables running into the passenger compartment. If they aren't fused, it can get pretty fruity...

It needs to go between the positive terminal and the fusebox. This involves splitting the main cable somewhere around the fusible links. DO NOT WIRE THE STARTER THROUGH IT. Make sure the meter and the wire can take all the current.

On second thoughts, they are pretty pointless, don't bother because it will probably result in your car going on fire.

No - it needs to go between the amp positive terminal and the battery, no between the amp and the fusebox.

Unless the ammeter is rated at over 50amps, I wouldnt bother mate :) You dont really need an ammeter.

Just use the voltmeter to keep and eye on the battery (I use one with my setup).

Ammeters you need to wire in series (i.e. in line with the power cable) which can be very tricky with thick cable.

Voltmeters you need to wire in parallel (i.e. just connect the meter accross the positive and negative supply).

Good luck!

RE: RE: how do u wire a ameter

Retepetsir said:
No - it needs to go between the amp positive terminal and the battery, no between the amp and the fusebox.

Then you only know the current going to the amp, not all the ancillaries as well.

No need having an ammeter on the rest of the car, you want it where the amps are installed.

To be honest, you dont need one. If the voltage is dropping much below 14v with the engine running, you know that your pulling more current than your alternator can provide.

My one amp is fused with 180amps worth of fuses, and I'm yet to have a problem!

Most of the car ammeters you get have positive and negative current - one to show charging, the other to show discharge. It's far, far more useful to have the ammeter pretty much where the fusible links are, with the only thing not going through it being the wires to the amp.

You know the amp is drawing current, you know it's a lot, and it fluctuates all the time, so seeing a waggling needle doesn't really tell you much. You want to know if the alternator and battery can keep up with the load over a longer period of time. So, if you put it where the fusible links are, you can see if the alternator is keeping up with it, which is what is important. Your voltmeter will tell you if the battery is getting screwed over.

There's no need to have an ammeter on auxillary items, as the cars alternator will have more than enough current to power the aux items as well as charging the battery.

Again theres not much point with an ammeter for car audio, unless its very heavy duty. About the only thing it is useful for is calculating rms output when playing sine waves at varying frequencies, in combination with a voltmeter....

Regards

but the whole point is to know if the battery is being charged or not - i.e shows if the alternator is any good! So you want it to show everything. In fairness a voltage meter can tell you all this.
Ed

Which is what I was trying to say......!

I havent bothered with one for that reason, just got a Brax Digital volt meter :)

I used a brax milticontroller hehe i still have it infact.

fox1983 said:
ok coz of the omount of ice i got i have an ameter and volt meter to fit the volt meter im ok with that just goes into a 12v sorce but how do u wire the ameter in
Sorry to seem a bit stupid here, but are you wanting to fit an ameter because you are worried about the amount of power being drawn by your install?

Back