How do i remove my back box?

wilsonian

Ex. Club Member
OK i've done back box removals before but my main problem this time is rust.

The nuts have completely rusted up. i've tried spraying them with WD40 and leaving it to soak in but still not luck.

Is there anything i could try besides cutting them off?

Well tbh i had the same problem when i did my cat section a few years back on my older K11.

in the end i took it to the nightschool i was at and they heated up the nuts then removed them.

Problem this time round is no night school :S

wilsonian said:
OK i've done back box removals before but my main problem this time is rust.

The nuts have completely rusted up. i've tried spraying them with WD40 and leaving it to soak in but still not luck.

Is there anything i could try besides cutting them off?
This is exactly the problem I had when fitting my Janspeed box... I took it to a garage and half an hour later - job done! :)

I had same problem with the mid CAT, I ground the bolts and nuts off and fitted new ones, that saves any future problems too, should be same with backbox

I started 2 fit my Janspeed manifold... then i came 2 the mid cat.... i just ended up putting it all back 2gether, and i'l get the garage to do it, when i get my exhaust done :) lol

i thought you was sposed to put copper slip or some sort on the nuts/bolts when fitting things like this?? make life easier when you want to take it off

once i feel better - full of a bad cold atm - i'm going to get some new nuts and bolts and cut the whole cat back system off - that way i know it's got mew rubber joints etc.

When I was getting my Janspeed fitted, the place just cut the old backbox bolts and took it off that way. Should be able to drill them out if it needs to be fitted again.

1000 Post :D

solarice said:
you can try heating them up till they turn cherry red....then attack em, somtimes works :)
always works mate, acethalyne and oxygen, works a treat.

Back